Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Mobile phone question

Andrew Prince said:
Ian, what phone did you go for in the end?

I ended up with an iPhone 4. Would I buy another one - No. I have been using it for a couple of weeks now and am on the same network as my old phone - O2. I now can't make calls from places I used to be able to with my old phone. As was mentioned earlier in the thread, the OS can be as slick as you like but if the thing does not have a signal it's useless. IMHO the iPhone is exactly what I hoped it would not be - over hyped, over priced and fails at the basic function of a smart phone.

At least its only on a 12 month contract and I still have my old phone for when I need to call someone!!

Ian

Thanks, Ian - reinforces that the iphone isn't for me!

Your thoughts will provide plenty of grist for Rob's mill... or should that be apple :mrgreen:

Sadly I found even the HTC Andriod smart phones are the same. Great for just about everything EXCEPT making and receving phone calls. My cheepo Nokia whatsit model is still the best for battery life and calls.... but that's about it..... One day we will get a device that will do it all...

TonyP said:
Sadly I found even the HTC Andriod smart phones are the same. Great for just about everything EXCEPT making and receving phone calls. My cheepo Nokia whatsit model is still the best for battery life and calls.... but that's about it..... One day we will get a device that will do it all...
I've got an HTC Hero, and so far I've only encountered one area, for just a few yards, near Ewell in Surrey, where I've not been able to get a signal, Oh, and the battery lasts about 4 days bafore needing a recharge. It's been a great phone, as long as I can make calls, get emails and take the odd picture :whistle: (no silly comments please) it suits me fine. :thumbup:

My HTC Z has been spot on as a phone so far and gets the same signal strength as my nokia 6303. I might even keep using it at this rate :o

Ian regarding your signal issues did you see the video I posted earlier in this thread? are you by any chance holding in the wrong way? The external metal case is split up and are actually the antennas for bluetooth wifi and GSM etc. If you short them out with you hand your phone will loose signal, you can get a cover that will stop you from shorting them out.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGxENOp4XUQ
For obvious reasons I shall not embed the video :whistle:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Andrew Prince said:
Your thoughts will provide plenty of grist for Rob's mill... or should that be apple :mrgreen:
I am an trying to help these poor souls Andy, they cant help it as its not there fault, its a disease.

I was aware of the antenna issues and have the phone in a case which I thought solved the problem, clearly not!!

spackrackman said:
Been wanting to try one properly. I am sure the apps will soon follow. What's so smooth about the windows?

Its hard to quantify but it is really pleasant to use - the user interface is incredibly well designer. At least for me.

Interesting that since I posted Nokia has decided to use for their phones.

He says typing all this on a nexus s. Out of all the phones I've used I'd still go windows if I were buying.

Smartphones:
computer-errors-bugs%2C2-7-277423-22.png

:lol:

I saw in the paper this morning that the Android phones are getting hammered by viruses... This is a bloody minefield! :mrgreen:
Sounds like I need the simplest Nokia and forget about all this other fancy stuff :violin: I do drive an 80 after all :shifty:

:( Any further details where it comes from or how it's being propogated. I am guessing a app.... but which one :doh:

It sounded like there was a group of apps that were the source, rather than a single dodgy one. The comment was that Google have been too casual in allowing anyone to develop and submit apps, whereas Apple and Windows vet their apps first - or something along those lines. Clearly I don't understand too well how this all works! :doh:

Hmm some more research required me thinks..... Calling Crispin.... hello Crispin :lol:

Is Cris unable to post now his phone has been swallowed by viruses...

Could do with more intel on this as have the oppertunity to look at upgrading my phone htis afternoon...

Hurry up!!! :lol:

Well according to the experts on the Gadget Show, last night, the latest iPhone 4G came out on top of the Smartphone King of the Hill. Personally I'm going with the HTC Desire HD (for the time being). Like others on this forum, I'm keeping away from Android enabled phones for the time being. Like the song says.....I'm fly! I'm not a insect....

John

Mines on a company contract so having looked at the costs looks like if I want to go smartphone, its the iphone as its free!!!

I had fancied the HTC HD7 though - might have word with the powers that be... Where's that grovelly smiley gone...

Dark Dude said:
Well according to the experts on the Gadget Show, last night, the latest iPhone 4G came out on top of the Smartphone King of the Hill. Personally I'm going with the HTC Desire HD (for the time being). Like others on this forum, I'm keeping away from Android enabled phones for the time being. Like the song says.....I'm fly! I'm not a insect....John
I thought the HTC was an Android phone?

http://www.htc.com/www/product/desirehd ... ation.html

Gav Peter said:
The HD is windows operating system :thumbup:
On that link if you scroll down it says
"Android™ 2.2 (Froyo) with HTC Sense™" :?:

Back