Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

MT's on a budget, what to choose?

Trevor

Country Flag
england
I read various reviews and thought I'll go for 35 12.50 15 Hankook Dynapro MT. My local garage owe me a favour for IT skills and are happy to supply me a set at cost plus fitting, great says I until I get quoted at £171 per corner. Basically too much for my budget.

So, what would people suggest as an alternative that fits the following criteria:-

Needs to be a true 35 in the size above

Has good wear characteristics, i.e will last well

Really good mud performance, I mean really good

Average manners on wet Tarmac (not an AT)

Retails no more than £120 a corner give or take

Answers on a postcard please :D

e-bay. Every half hour.

Pretty tight criteria there Trev. Less than £500 for a set of good 35" MT? You might need to change your location to La La Land. Or maybe Luckyville. Who knows.

Best of luck. After my search for tyres, just be careful, many that say they are 35" simply aren't. Check out JCS tyres on e-bay for some guidance.

Chris

House prices are too high in LaLaLand so based on your good advice I will probably have to rethink in 33s, same question applies if peoples have a view, I will check JCS as I think you've rated them for their knowledge before.

It all started because I wanted a truck for towing, got myself into a fine mess Stanley.

Trev, not sure that the tyre size you want will actually fit on the 120 - I assume it's for the 120?? The 12.50" width is going to be a problem I think - the main reason I have not gone for 305/70x17s on my 120 from Cooper. the OEM rim is too narrow (only a 7j) and I think you're going to have to remove flaps and modify arches to get it to fit, especially at the front. Even with my 40mm body lift and 40mm suspension lift I reckon it'd be a struggle. If you look at what Arctic Trucks have to do to go 35" on the 120 you'll see what I mean ...

Let me know how you go though - if it works, I'll follow you, else I'm going to stick to 285/70x17 ...

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I popped up to see Charles at JCS Tyres in Stapleford today (after reading previous good reports on here). I now know a hell of a lot more about MT tyres and their attributes.

The patience, enthusiasm and real 4x4 tyre knowledge is amazing, luckily for me he didn't have the Cooper ST's in my size in stock so Mrs Trev is happier, but out of the same Cooper stable comes Mastercraft and I now have a set of 5 Mastercraft Courser MT's in 33's which should assist in the mud as the 70 is quite a light vehicle. Nice on the tarmac, really quite quiet just need to get them dirty now.

Oh yes, and he has a 70 same colour as mine too.

Top day, top bloke and top result. :dance:

0df0f8e0.jpg

cb0afac1.jpg

Their looking good Trev, and that's the cleanest wheel arches I've ever seen :cool:

Back