Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

My 100 series.

AndycruiserguyLomas

Supporter
Guru
Country Flag
england
Having brought my new truck back home last night and parked it up, I thought about the way forward with it.

IMG_0319_zps8a990f3e.jpg

Since it came with no service history I thought I may have to do a little detective work. I rang the garage which did the last MOT (14 Sept) to see what they knew. It turns out they had carried out every MOT and every service and the truck was well known to them, result.
It has had a full service every year using all Toyota parts, fully synthetic Mobil oil etc from 2004 onwards as it has mainly had one owner (from Jan 1st 2004)
The one thing the chap did say was it was due a service anytime and the cambelt was due ( but no warning light yet).
The first thing I generally like to do when I buy a truck is to give it a good hot clean before I start working on it so up in the air with the best type if jack.

IMG_0321_zps86a7c842.jpg

IMG_0322_zpsad832b0a.jpg

IMG_0323_zps9c9d2fdd.jpg

After a good clean (by which time it was dark) I took it for a run to dry out the brakes etc.

Earlier in the day I had ordered service items to service it this weekend so I start with it baselined. The truck isn;t perfect by any means though and ordered 3 new mudflaps as they had been chewed though by the previous owners dogs and 2 new gas struts for the bonnet as they are weak. there is one brand new damper on the rear and the other is ragged bit working so I ordered a new one to match.
The only thing I am stuck on is the oil, Toyotas own was a fortune and my local motor factor couldn't give me a categorical "right one" so suggestions would be welcome.

As I do jobs in it I will endeavour to take pics at every opportunity.

Andy

Any good fully synthetic 10/40 will be fine. It more about regular changes rather than particular oil. I generally use Mobil or caltex depending on what special is around at the time.

Shout if you want a hand with the timing belt.

Drew, I'm not sure really, If the chap said it was serviced every year then 180K miles divide by 10 years means on average every 18K. The oil in it now isn't black so I don't know. It's obviously been used a fair bit as its done 60K miles since 2010. This may not be a bad thing if it was driven properly and benefited from fully synthetic oil. It may have had more frequent changes, who knows? All I know is it runs sweet.

Andy

Thanks for that Warren, I;m not sure yet about the water pump replacement, I might just see what I find when I get the cover off.

Andy

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Ah right, no stamps or receipts to nail it down then.

One hopes it was done more than once every 18k!

I can only go on what I was told and what it is. For the money it's good, the auto box is seamless and no mechanical noise from anything. The previous owner sent it to the same garage for everything it needed, never cut corners and was well heeled enough for it not to matter. I've just been down their road and it's all farms, very rural.

Looks like a nice 100

Sent from my GT-P1010 using Tapatalk 2

I pick my 04 model up on 1st October, can't wait.....

I think you got a good'un there. :icon-cool:

Love the jack.......:lol:

When you say "hot clean" - what do you mean? Literally clean with hot water or something different?

No. its the high pressure washer we clean the trucks with, it burns diesel or kerosene. The beauty of it is because it is hot everything you clean dries very quickly.
Yes the jack is great!! It had to be Toyo though.

Andy

In that case there's no precedent set. According to this 2004 publication it's a 10k interval. IIRC for that interval, 5w30 fully synthetic is recommended.

Last edited:
Looks like a scrapper to me mate. You've been had. Total shed. I'd flip it first chance you get. Even Pooch looks glum.

Can't win 'em all mate. Just chalk this one up you know?

Arf arf.

According to the chap who serviced it it has had Mobil 5W30 in the engine and he seemed to know what he was talking about. That said I will change the oil at the weekend and take it from there. I'm not worried about any aspect of the engines condition as I've done 60 miles so far and it seems fine.
Just to be a jammy Barsteward I went to fill it up tonight ( the seller put £25'sworth in on the test drive) it took 75l to fill tank1 and only 4l to fill tank2, it was full and the seller didn't know!!!! Bang tidy!!!

Andy

According to the display it should have a range of 620 miles. Still not as good as the Suburban which can eek out 700 miles sometimes lol.

Andy

I forgot it had twin tanks. That's going to be popular at the fuel station!

looks good -can you do a photo underneath to show the two tanks :whistle: just me being nosey, cheers

Will do Pete, I might have to take the spare off though to see better. I don't know about 100's but on 80's don't you have to relocate the spare? This is factory fitted so it may not have the capacity of an aftermarket aux tank, it's all new to me.

Andy

Back