Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

My 80

mike54

Just starting this as my 80 is almost done.

When I went to see it it looked a right state. A farmer had had it for a year and had done no maintenance whatsoever. Having said that, the MOT history was good, it had been clearly been well maintained from new apart from the past 12 months. Apart from the obvious dented panels, torn off wheel arches and scratched paint, mechanically it was pretty sound.

photo10.JPG

photo11.JPG

photo8.JPG

A buggered alternator saw all the dash lights on, the front discs needed replacement and underneath the mud was so thick it was impossible to even see the chassis, so a few minutes with a pressure washer found out that remarkably, the chassis was in great condition.

photo4.JPG

The front diff was locking without problems but the rear wouldnt - I could hear it trying but it wouldn't engage so there was a question mark over a potential need for a new actuator. The batteries were bog standard halfords and with the knackered alternator the batteries would need replacement too. On the plus side the aircon worked but needed a re-gas, the gearbox was sound, the engine sounded pretty sweet so the deal was done.

We trailered it over to Pauls and I started on it - seats and most of the interior out for cleaning

photo6.JPG

a LOT of care and attention later

photo5.JPG

Then onto the body

photo3.JPG

Paul had a spare front wing complete with snorkel holes for an iron man - result. A little rust treatment of the inner wing later and we're away. Oh, put a new bonnet on as well

photo2.JPG

Then the boys started the good stuff - front axle rebuild (and note the new suspension)

photo13.JPG

photo14.JPG

New discs at the same time though forgot to get a pic.

Tom did the big end bearings (though the originals were fine, its a 24 valve but I wanted them done to be safe)

New exhaust (side exit, 3" pipe), EGR valve removed by chopping off the manifold and welding up, I took out the aircon pump, condenser and all the pipes as I'm just not bothered about having it, and Toms had a little tweak with the fuel pump. He's also sorted the cam belt and given it a god service all round.

I also replaced the rear drop tailgate as the moronic farmer had clearly bent it and the hinges so new hinges from a breaking vehicle in scotland together with tailgate. Also managed to get a new interior from that vehicle (the grey suede-y leather stuff), inc door cards, new carpet as the old one was unsalvageable, as were the seats. I needed new headlamp assemblies, indicators, new front grille and wing mirror all ably provided by Karl. Batteries were replaced with Unipart calcium, new alternator from ebay.

Then followed new boots, Cooper Discoverer STT 285's shortly to be followed by steel modular wheels. Will be having a new front (winch) bumper made by James Sunderland to fit my Goldfish onto and we're nearly there. Took off the remaining wheel arches to make it "Taliban spec" and we're almost there. I'll also steam clean the underside again, then after its dry spray it with Tetrosyl chassis paint then I can start on making the inside the way I want it for overland travel and camping etc.

Needs an MOT and a spray from Pauls guy and I'll have myself a rebuilt, well sorted and now cared for 80.

More pics to follow once the final few things are sorted.

That's a superb job, particularly of the interior cleaning. Did you have any of the bituminous, black stuff to get rid of?

Brave is the word that springs to my mind. That and courageous. What a resurrection. A real lesson for all those who want a pristine one and shy away from a less than perfect example.

There's hope for my front wing damage after all.

Well done!

Chris

great stuff - looked more like a chicken koop to me, but hey! Looks impressive now!

Cheers chaps, should be great when it's finished. And yes, it was a chicken coop, a real terrible mess inside. The main thing is that the engine and box are bob on, and the farmer leaving the underside covered in mud has done the chassis a big favour in terms of protection. The basis was there for a great vehicle, it'd just been badly neglected.

Nick Shepherd said:
That's a superb job, particularly of the interior cleaning. Did you have any of the bituminous, black stuff to get rid of?

Amazingly, once the carpets came out, despite the dirt, cow shit and animal hair, the black stuff wasn't too bad at all. I masked off the dash, took out all the footwell bungs, took off all the trim and door cards etc and got in there with a steam cleaner - transformed it, even the headlining came up really well.

I pondered on lift and wheels/tyres for quite a while, and figured that for green laning and overland trips I didn't need to go higher than 2" or bigger than 285's and it looks pretty good with them on (the pics show the original knackered runway enduros). Also forgot to mention in the main post that the rear diff actuator was just bunged up with crap. After a good clean it works fine :thumbup:

down the line it ll be a split charge kit or a stand along alternator to charge a second battery using the mount for the aircon pump, not decided which yet. Do the back in baffle board and put a guard in and make a mount for a second spare for behind the drivers seat. I've gone off the idea of a swingaway for weight / weight distribution reasons. Oh, a CB, a decent radio and speakers, aerial mount, rocksliders and some cargo rails and it'll be sorted.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
That "farmyard find" sounds familiar. The carpet in my 96 GS was thick with farmyard crap. It weighed about 25 kg less when it had been steam cleaned but did come up well enough to use again. I'm sure dry thick mud preserves very well, tons came off mine but under it was all factory black. Mine had been stood 7 years but started 1st turn and now is my daily driver. One thing I found with the ex farmer thing was the tremendous amount of dust that was everywhere.
using S/H parts especially panels the right colour can be a big help and save money.
Great job hope to see it sometime.

Andy

Mike you've done a great job resurrecting your 80 :thumbup: I remember what the 80 looked like when it was advertised for sale. I'm pleased it's gone to a good home, and look forward to seeing it in all finished.

Keep up the good work.

Wow that was a shed. Mine was quite bad when I got it, no carpet in the back as the trader said it was soaked in oil and grease and the interior had mould growing inside... but at least all my panels where straight.

If you don't mind me asking, how much did you pay for it and what sort of mileage does it have? Good effort, I am impressed you are putting a lot of effort into getting it straight.

160,000 miles. I paid scrap value but have spent quite a bit on it to get it right

Absolutely brilliant work. GOOD JOB!
I'll be starting something about 10% as hardcore as that this weekend.. BEB's oh I remember the oil. Bought a new socket set and 50 rolls of toilet towel this weekend in anticipation!
Let's see some pics on the lanes...

I like the original pic! Someone has put one of those white customer service bags over the drivers seat to protect it. Still laughing.

Frank

frank rabbets said:
I like the original pic! Someone has put one of those white customer service bags over the drivers seat to protect it. Still laughing.

Frank
:doh: :lol:

I know - the smell inside was so bad it made me gag when I first saw it. Smell of old wet animals and cow shit mixed together. Had to scrap the seats - tried steam cleaning them and used muc off and TFR and it made absolutely no difference

Having worked on a farm for 2 years I think they let the cows drive it and put the bag over for some protection.

Frank

Was sprayed this week. Coming back on Tues. Steel wheels blasted and powder coated, ditto rear steel bumper :thumbup:

Snorkel on then it's put the front end back and MOT time. Will post pics in due course.

Back