My 80

David

Supporter
Garage
Country Flag
great_britain
Well t's on it's way from North Lincolnshire, as a back load by a guy I know
61031E65-5EA5-405F-B534-1F9AA238E5EB.jpeg

Oh dear, tow vehicle looks a tad overloaded, perhaps he should swap them over.
Really happy for you with your new purchase and always looking forward to the pictures and stories.

Looks good David. Welcome to 80 ownership. :clap:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Looks in pretty good nick!..I also love the old school nudge bar, I had the same on my 60....Impressive looking Truck:thumbup:

It is the 3rd 80 I have owned but only the 2nd on the road

Been having a look round the 80 and so far I have found
The reason the brake warning light was on was low fluid topped it up and it went off, so went for drive and it was back on. So after further investigation I found a worn though pipe from the rear brake proportioning valve, and it looks a pig to change
I then dropped the diff oils after a major struggle with the filling plugs, a welder helped a lot here.
The front was pretty clean but the rear was disgusting with a few metal shards in the plug, but seen worse.
The gearbox and transfer box oil were not to bad but looked like it was overdue a change.
An other thing I have noticed is the front axel balls have a bit of pitting on them, will this be a problem ??
I could not find any chassis rot so far so pretty pleased with that
It goes for it's mot next Thursday so we will see what that turns up

Last edited:
Just a pic of the leaking brake pipe that seems to vanish down the side of the fuel tank

75CE98D6-DD78-460C-A5AB-756B689C1BC0.jpeg

I've replaced that pipe David, all the way to the front actually. Wasn't that hard but as usual, everything is 20+ years old and loosening things that haven't been moved since leaving Japan is always testy.

Pitting on the cannon balls isn't the end of the world. But it depends on what use you put the vehicle to. The felt and neoprene seals are there to keep water out not really to keep anything is, as you know the hubs are full of grease which is pretty immobile. I remember Modelmakerman's post where he used filler to level out the pitting then sanded them back to a perfect finish. That's a possibility if they're really bad. But with good seals and fresh grease as well as an easy life not crossing rivers, they should be OK.

As long as the steering Balls are not bad enough to do damage to the Wiper seals they should be ok.. Iv known folk coat them with a good hard enamel paint... Mine were pitted when i did a front axle rebuild, I just cleaned em up and gave them plenty coats of good Paint, With some new wiper seals they have been fine..So Far..

The HGV guy in our yard is going to do that brake pipe , I’m to old to be filling about in the floor.
I sort of need a 4 post ramp, but I doubt my shed floor is good enough or level enough tbh

Back