• Yes, keep its racing heritage

Votes: 5 38.5%
  • No, it now a motor caravan

Votes: 7 53.8%
  • Too boy racer pretentious nonsense

Votes: 1 7.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Just vicious rumour and innuendo Grant. Dodgy forum this, wouldn't believe half of what you read on here..:whistle::whistle:

Just vicious rumour and innuendo Grant. Dodgy forum this, wouldn't believe half of what you read on here..:whistle::whistle:

I know what you mean - i've been subjected to that here too ....

It's a shame I didn't see you about it would have been great to meet you.

Which means there is a least some truth to half of it then ....

Ok finally a bit of an update.

After months of planning, visits to the continent to see builders and electrical suppliers/installers, additional repair work at MAN and various other stuff; visits to Germany to the Allrad show to meet various suppliers and to finalise the plan, the truck has started its major surgery.

I have access to a welding and steel fabricating company, so was able to use their facilities and manpower to start the removal of the rear box. Over the last few months, I removed and disconnected all the ancillaries that were associated with the box, so expected this would be a pretty quick and painless job.

Well it turned out to be much more work than loosening a few bolts and lifting the box off.

Having several pairs of eyes looking at the problem, it was obvious that much of the truck was built with the box as a supporting structure, from the side pods, to the additional air tanks, with brackets and bolts in inaccessible places.

The huge fuel tanks were obviously added after the box was mated to the chassis, so the bolts that held the frame to the chassis were virtually impossible to get to. The entire rear bumper and Rockinger hitch were also welded to the body, as were the rear mudguards, the air tanks, brake air dryers, the engine expansion tank etc etc.

So what I'd hoped was going to be a mornings work, took 5 guys 10 hours to complete.

07.30 ready for the start.

IMG_0467.JPG

Rear bumper removed for bolt access

IMG_0469.JPG

Floor had to be cut to get access to some of the bolts.

IMG_0482.JPG

The truck under the hoist ready to lift

IMG_0483.JPG

Daylight!! Just not high enough.

IMG_0486.JPG

Can't lift it high enough to clear the mudguards.

IMG_0491.JPG

IMG_0492.JPG

Rear mudguard cut and destroyed in order to get more clearance

IMG_0495.JPG

After several attempts at using the hoist, we realised it just wasn't going to work.
Plan B.. Chock the daylight with beams and drive truck out of the lifting bay. Use two, 2-ton fork lifts to raise the body off the chassis high enough so I can drive away.

IMG_0499.JPG

IMG_0500.JPG

The end result !!
IMG_0510.JPG
IMG_0512.JPG
IMG_0514.JPG

The amount of desert sand and filth that was trapped under the box was amazing. you can see the state of the chassis from the pics below. You will also note the air tanks have been moved from their traditional position under the chassis to much higher up between the chassis rails.

IMG_0511.JPG

The next phase is a wash and clean, before the truck goes off to have the chassis and body prepped and painted.

I cannot get rid of these last 2 pictures. I kept getting a message saying "error loading pics" and these random pics have been added to the end.. I have tried deleting them but no joy!!! Not the first time on here. I did try and post several more pictures, ( all same format and camera) but I lost the will to sit here for hours trying to get the site to work, as it seems to uplod at random and reject at random.

IMG_0476.JPG IMG_0501.JPG

Last edited:
So does the box just get scrapped Lazz or what?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I love the updates on this, was just reading the bit about not clearing the mud guards and I said out loud “bloody hell” my wife goes what’s up??? I go oh nothing, she just won’t understand!!!

What a lot of work! I dont suppose the builders ever thought it was going to be stripped down like this - Great job!

Wow, I was thinking you were going to convert the box Body but as in your other builds, no half measures here. :) At least it gives you a chance to see everything within the chassis area from above and address anything you find/ give it a repaint.

Must admit that I did very briefly consider just adapting the existing box to suit my needs, as it would have been a much easier and cheaper solution, however I quickly discounted it. The body was mounted directly to the chassis without a torsion frame, so that was a non starter to begin with. The roads we travel on will mean a lot of cab to chassis twist, and a fixed rear box would break either the internals or crack the chassis when flexed and twisted. Then there was the whole issue of thermal bridges, size, space, and accommodation. Little point in going this far to have a major compromise because of cost.

Much of the pleasure is in designing and building the truck, tackling the problems that arise and finding sensible robust solutions that will work and last 10+ years. I had an original budget for the build, but that has been thrown out the window. I have decided I'm really not prepared to compromise on what I really want in terms of quality and function. I used that rational on my 80 series,(that GOLD colour) so will do so on this build. The build will obviously take a little longer to complete, but I will do it properly.

I could fit in-expensive Perspex windows that many of these trucks use, but will fit double-pane glass windows, with integrated mozzie nets and adjustable blinds. More than 3 times the price , but I think more than 3 times the quality.

I've seen too many trucks now that have been built on the cheap, and "they are nice from far.... but far from nice!"

Really enjoying watching this build Olazz.

I guess dismantling the existing truck is the worst bit because thats where you come across the problems with the original build and subsequent modifications. Hopefully once you start building it back up a agin things will get simpler.

Do you have a trip in mind for when its finished?

Keep up the good work.

Yep Nick, the stripping down is always the hard bit. Tracing and trying to figure out what was installed as non- standard, and for what purpose has been rather tedious. I have been lucky in that Toni Maurer, the original (and current) builder for MAN Dakar trucks, has all of the initial history for the truck, so it has been easier than if not.

We are planning a shake down trip to Iceland, so if it breaks down or malfunctions were are still close to home.

Could that possibly be the potential group Iceland trip that Geek O Kent floated for 2019?

Last edited:
This is just epic.. thanks for sharing the journey with us. You'll have something truly special on your hands when it's done!

What a mission!!
Given the speed and terrain these trucks go over very surprised it survived not having a torsion frame, maybe having all that stuff also bolted betwixt frame and truck just made it rigid with no chassis flex, some use that as a design concept!

What a mission!!
Given the speed and terrain these trucks go over very surprised it survived not having a torsion frame, maybe having all that stuff also bolted betwixt frame and truck just made it rigid with no chassis flex, some use that as a design concept!
exactly what I was thinking? Iceland would make a great shakedown - the corrugations on the inland roads shake vehicles to bits, and the volcanic sand is like grinding paste that screws seals for fun... Watching the build with interest! :)

First proper wash complete. 99% of the Sahara and Gobi deserts have been washed away.

IMG_0518.JPG

I don't think I need worry about running out of fuel !!

I jury rigged the air filter and intake that was housed in the rear box, whilst I have a new improved version made.

IMG_0519.JPG

Again I have tried uploading more pictures, but the site just keeps returning an error message !! I give up.

Has it been raining at your place again Lazz? It's certainly got the chassis clean.

Back