Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

My quest for a new 80

Thanks Brett this is already posted on the other thread following my fire disaster.

It's a 'no' from me.

Thanks for the prompt though. Keep looking!

Chris

I tell you what, I've just scanned my ebay digest of new ads & there's not many 80's out there at the moment... There's a few pre-'94 models that I haven't bothered posting up but there's slim pickings at the moment on ebay...

I noticed CFCS have one in at around the £5k mark but lets not go there... :twisted:

WTF??? No I hadn't seen that one Gav as I have my search fields set to £5000 max. £5500 for that? And she hasn't even given it a wash? Come on.

This is taking the pi55 surely.

You are right about slim pickings Gav. It's very quiet. Where are all the £1750 clunkers in Keighley? Have they all been bought and shipped to Dubai?

The one at CFCS looks nice but then you read the write up and it's accident recovered. Repaired to highest standards and CFCS are not words I would put in the same sentence.

C

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
CHEEKY BASTARD!

That red one was for sale on Autotrader yesterday, sold in an hour and is back on here for a grand more. I rang the bloke this morning who said the ink wasn't dry on the advert before it had gone.,

Just checked the registration!

I've no chance have I. There are some sharp fish out there.

Chris

HI ALL

love this bit

No MOT or TAX because when I brought it, it never had either of them. :naughty:

Na Na de na na :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sounds a little selfish to me that comment.

Mal

1994 (L reg) Estate 250,000 miles Automatic 4.2L Diesel L Reg,Amazon, Lwb 8 seater, full grey leather, pas, central locking, elec windows, air con, climate control, bull bars, side steps, alloys, big tyres, cd player, long mot & tax, very good body work. The cheapest ever Landcruiser for sale! Managers special, grab a bargain. £2,995.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...page/1/radius/1500/postcode/ch615uq?logcode=p

5 Doors, Automatic, 4x4, Diesel, 181,756 miles, Green. Previous Owners: 2, Usual VX Spec. Loads of service history and receipts, just had full service and timing belt. 12 months MOT, 2 months tax. Used by ourselfs for the past 12 months, cracking truck been all over the country in it. We accept debit and credit cards. Poss p/x. Thanks for looking. £3,995

http://atsearch.autotrader.co.uk/ww...ry=cars&channel=DEALERPAGE&id=201110381358215

5 Doors, Manual, Station Wagon, Diesel, 150,000 miles, Red. ABS, Adjustable seats, Adjustable steering column/wheel, Air conditioning, Alloy wheels, Anti theft system, Central locking, Cruise control, Driver airbag, Electric mirrors, Electric windows, Foglights, Head restraints, Headlight washers, Heated screen, Heated seats, Leather seats, Lumbar support, Metallic paintwork, Power assisted steering, Radio, Remote locking, Sunroof, Tinted glass. Insurance Group:13, £4,995

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...postcode/ch615uq/page/4/radius/1500?logcode=p

Gav said:
5 Doors, Automatic, 4x4, Diesel, 181,756 miles, Green. Previous Owners: 2, Usual VX Spec. Loads of service history and receipts, just had full service and timing belt. 12 months MOT, 2 months tax. Used by ourselfs for the past 12 months, cracking truck been all over the country in it. We accept debit and credit cards. Poss p/x. Thanks for looking. £3,995
This one doesn't look too bad - knock £500 off and it'll be a fair price in this market, provided A/C and lockers all work!

Chris, I am happy to offer my services in the SW London & Surrey vicinity should something crop up that you want checked out sharpish!

Cheers Andrew. Yep seen that one. I dunno but something doesn't look right about that one. Odd goings on with the number plate. Also it's on a K and I really want an M or later 'cos of my private plate. Really appreciate the offer of looking. Just not sure on that one. Could easily turn out to be a wast of time.

Gav you numpty - that red one is the one I just posted about having been sold one day and appearing the next for a grand more. Honestly! ;) Do try to keep up.

Chris

Sorry mate, note really being selective here... Thats your job!!! :mrgreen:

Well, with help like that.....

No, I do appreciate it. All of it. The more eyes and ears the better. Can't believe that one at £4995. I'd have stopped at the bank on the way to that one. They are just being traded as commodities now. They have to reach a point though where they stick. Can't sell for less as they won't make a profit and people won't pay because they are too much.

Chris

Well folks this is doing my nut. Don't know what I am looking for from this particular post - just some logic checking I guess. I know that I can bide my time, but dammit, I haven't driven a Cruiser for 2 weeks! I'm going cold turkey here.

I have had an offer from the insurance cretins today. That Equity by the way. Equity. Anyway, don't want to say what they offered just here on the open forum, but it's not entirely insulting. I want to push them a bit more and also understand what they are offering me the money for. ie what does it include - the winch? The tyres? If it DOES than I am not accepting it. IF all it includes it what comes off the forecourt as standard, it's not far out. So, either way, I can start spending starting tomorrow at the 4x4 show.

But - here's the current sit rep.
Cruisers have rocketed in price and are getting rarer due to the actions of some complete b'stards who are simply making money. OK they have to make a living, I don't begrudge them that, but stockpiling 80's, grabbing anything and whacking back out for a grand more is not helping the buyer. Each cruiser that is scrapped or exported means the pool is getting shallower. I can wait, but eventually there won't be any around. OK maybe not for a few years but as they don't make them any more the pool ain't getting any fnurkin bigger is it!!!!

Things that I am considering that you will all have done before I know - remember I'm not a complete 80 virgin myself.

1. Get a 12v diesel auto replacement. I'd like an M or newer to put my plate on. L plates like old Smokey out there on my drive are going for a grand more than I paid at least. Hmm.

2. Go for a 24v manual oil burner. Better MPG which let's face has to be a concern for most people with normal jobs. OK but there are some gearbox issues that I'd find hard to live with if I had them. Manuals are a bit rarer and hence the price is going up too.

3. Buy a petrol. Yes, I did say that. Buy a petrol (sips medicine and shouts for nurse to bring pills) with an LPG conversion. Well there are quite a few about an whilst the same sort of price as a Derv-drinker you do seem to get newer models with less miles better looked after. Downside is not knowing the provenance of the LPG kit, valve regression etc and reliability. Consumption on lpg doesn't seem very good to me from what I understand but it's cheaper. Sure but half the miles at half the price looks the same as twice the miles at twice the price. Also got to figure in availability of autogas. Petrol is 5p per teaspoon cheaper than oil at the moment but of course on petrol you get less mpg than a diesel.

4. OK Hold on to your hats here ... what about I buy a straight petrol (Nurse where the fnuk are those PILLS!!!) I am looking at a very nice P plate, low miles, no LPG for £3750. And it's not the only one. I reckon that the Stealers are leaving these alone, well who in their right mind would buy a straight petrol? There is a local place that will fit kits for £1400 plus G&T. That takes it up to the price of one with LPG fitted BUT I know that it's a modern system set up for me and that it's run on pure precious spirit all its life.

5. There's an option 5 - jeez. Yep, buy one of the mint late 80s with petrol motor and just run on petrol. No LPG. Well I had to list that option.

Now what I don't know is what petrol is like on a long cruise controlled 60 mph motorway trip in the small hours which is where most of my miles are done. Let's just say I could get 25mpg doing that just sitting there then I would be VERY interested. This is not a daily drive. So everyday in stop start traffic isn't really going to happen.

So there we are folks. Any more bright ideas come on down. It's clear to me and to others that the only way that you're going to get a real bargain now is if you bump into someone in Tesco with a sign in the window saying "4 sail, runns gud, t&t, fone for deetails" and some bloke in wellies with string holding up his old suit trousers getting into it. You offer him a basket of eggs and some magic beans plus a lift home to his farm. There are snatch squads out there (not that sort of snatch Gav) hoovering these up. And they are, this is fact. I was speaking to one last night. Breaking old ones for parts is a different thing. That's a service that benefits us all. But even breaker trucks are getting rarer. I met a dealer sending scrappers to Dubai in containers! Luckily I have my own. Hey, if I go petrol, anyone want a set of reconditioned injectors!!!

Now you could say "Hey, don't be tight, you want a cruiser, man up and pay for the fuel" To which I'd reply, "I won't tell you how to shag yer missus if you don't tell me how to spend my money." :D

Regards one and all and a million thanks for all the help and support so far.

Chris

Option 6:

Convert a petrol to diesel. :shock:

Not something i would want to do but it is still an option.

Option 7:

Forget the number plate, get an earlier (i.e., cheaper) one and upgrade the brakes.

Option 8

Why not import one from Japan. Will get a good truck with NO RUST, perhaps no lockers, (you can add air lockers if you have to have them) but it will have "other goodies" that UK specs don't.

You get a better value better overall condition IMHO

Option 8 might be a bit difficult currently, we have had huge delays announced from Japanese suppliers at work.

Back