Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

My violin is out for this guy

A bit like this? That's Ian Rubie waiting behind to pull me out and then he towed me 5k down a Welsh mountain in the dark with no power steering or brakes, it was a nightmare.

1.jpg3.jpg5.jpgChas's flooded Cruiser 2.JPGChas's Flooded Cruiser.JPG

Last edited:
Wow I feel for you,bet you will check the depth next time.

Didn't look like he hydraulic'd it, maybe he had the sense to turn it off as it sunk! Suspect a few ECUs got a bit damp tho!

I used to love going through deep water in my LR90, soon wears off a couple of starter motors & alternators later, not to mention more time cleaning the truck than driving it! :whistle:

Few motors get killed in the water at Yarwell every time I go :laughing-rolling:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Plenty of carelessness going on there, from guys nearly colliding in a huge space, to dragging the truck out by the towball...

Pity about the truck though!

An awful lot of work required to make that good again I'm thinking. Might get it running again reasonably quickly but potentially a shed load of future electrical gremlins due to wet/corroded connectors. JMO

An awful lot of work required to make that good again I'm thinking. Might get it running again reasonably quickly but potentially a shed load of future electrical gremlins due to wet/corroded connectors. JMO

The only things I had to replace after my immersion were the front seats as the electric controls no longer worked, no other problems at all.

Wow I feel for you,bet you will check the depth next time.

The depth wasn't the problem it was the soft bottom, I couldn't get any traction. I had been talking to someone just beside that hole when a friend in a Jeep dipped his wheels in the muddy water and we both said careful you don't know how deep it is and then we went on chatting.
I then saw the Jeep go past and I said to said 'friend' did Chris just go through there? he said yes, well so am I says I but Chris hadn't gone through there I found out later he'd gone round. :oops:

For some reason that video reminds me of a load of kids riding around a car park on bmx bikes...

It's the same kids CG. They've just all got older, got money and bought cruisers instead. [emoji4]

The op leads to numerous vids on ulube of mainly Russians trying to wreck their trucks.

I've never understood the total disregard these sorts have for their vehicles.

We all like a challenge and to test the ability of our trucks, and we often get caught out. But what's the sense in simply driving your truck into water over the roof?

It beats me.

I hate the idea of wading anyway, up to the axle is fine for me, but over the g/b and engine and flooding the interior is asking too much IMO. Buy a boat.

Maybe 4x4's are very cheap over there?

I agree Clive, I've never understood the mud plugging types that build these tubular frame things with Land Rover bits on them and go and drown and break them over the weekend. I guess they're just wired differently.

Those Russians are certifiably mad anyway.

we've done marsalling for a couple of punch challenge events with the RT, great fun to watch, I've took part in a few punch events with N44 too, the club events are less competative (well, to most of us anyway :lol:) and the handicap system levels the field a bit. The extreme events, rock crawlers, or the winch challenge events are the hardcore events, lots invested in the truck to be competative, quite expensive to compete too.

It depends what you want out of it really, I reckon most of us don't even attempt half the punches, lots of folks in their regular drive, it's just a good laugh, and it's a bit better than plodding round the same old P&P sites. I imagine it's similar to plodding round Lincomb, but with a mission, and a bit of friendly competition the passengers can join in with.

There is an element of "stupid" on all the P&P sites, their aim seem to be to buy a sub £500 disco/paj and drive it into the ground, mindset seems common amongst our east european friends.

Trying to do all these club events with one motor you also use as a road vehicle is not really practical, too much spanner time with pressure to get the truck back on the road. I wanted something more reliable for daily drive and laning/overland (hence the 80) but I also want a trailer toy to join in with the club events, my current LR90 is way too good to be thrashing round P&Ps tho, I'm aiming to sell that (try and got some of my dosh back!) and get something much cheaper to thrash about in the mud, it's not about the mud per se (I prefer non muddy quarry site tbh) it's the camaraderie when we're all in it together, not to mention building the old driving skillset up a tadge.

Last edited:
I understand the "sport" elements, and agree, they're great.

It's a wide range, from green laning, free-driving on the mountain, rock crawling, mud plugging, the works, but the motive for just trashing your truck for nothing, just beats me.

Well i'm honest enough with myself to admit being guilty as charged and my truck is my daily driver but if it won't do everything i want it to do then its no good to me .

Who can hold their hand up and say with honesty they would have remained a spectator had they been there that day ?

I agree there are plenty of Russian vids showing moronic behaviour and willing destruction but in this case i am inclined to believe an inexperienced guy in an unmodified truck probably on his first off road adventure seen a muddy puddle as opportunity to get the truck dirty so he could go home to the kids and say hey look daddy's the man which is why he gets my sympathy .

The body language , the feeble attempt to get water out , the total disregard for the fact he himself was soaked all tell me the depth of the "puddle" was a total shock and a fuck up to the tune of 50 grand :violin:

Must admit I once went to southport beach and hit a so called little puddle in a diahatsu fourtrak and all I can say is I needed pulling back out,as Shayne said sometimes you don't think to check the depth as it only looks little lesson learnt.

A bit like this? That's Ian Rubie HAVING JUST DRIVEN THROUGH THAT WITHOUT A PROBLEM waiting behind to pull me out and then he towed me 5k down a Welsh mountain in the dark with no power steering or brakes, it was a nightmare.

There you go Chas - fixed that for you. :)

Who remember's Ian's pic:

swimming.jpg

Back