Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Navarra/Aragon Spain trip 2016

Thanks Ian

think that is it for driving tracks on this trip, today we had 5 big climbs and some very bumpy tracks, so think that's it for now,
i also want to drive some of the famous Tour de France colls and let George speed down them on her bike

exchanged waves and thumbs up with a couple from Belgium today at top of Espot ski resort, they were in an 80 series with rooftent. Would have stopped but it was 6pm and we were tired and trying to find a camp spot... But signs everywhere saying national park and no camping. But ended up in nice campsite anyway.

Went out on our mountain bikes this morning. My quick look at map suggested a 12km route with 300m climb.... Got in trouble from George as it turned out to be 18-20km and 600' climb... Great views at lake though I'm national park near Espot.
then headed across Pyrennes to west to France. Basically stages 8 and 9 of this years Tour de France route in reverse, drove over Several cols, very impressed with the pulling power of a loaded Hilux.
let George out at famous Col de Tourmalet for a 20km and 4500ft descent on her bike,

now have 3 days to cross France and load the Hilux with wine

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Brilliant pictures Andy, glad to see your having a great trip. Safe travels.

In northern France now, about an hour from Calais. Hopefully channel tunnel is back up and running properly tomorrow.
much cooler now at 19degC, overcast and rain forecast :), welcoming us back to UK I suppose. So a bit of a depressing end to our holiday.

We taken a couple days to travel up through France, doing wine shopping and 1/2 day driving and now have 21 cases of wine on board. Stopped at Saint-mont, Bordeaux and Loire (Tours) for different reds and dry sparkling white wine.
good job the Hilux has uprated leaf springs and plenty of cargo space!

image.png
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Awsome trip :) only here for the wine my self, and the food, weather etc etc
thanks for sharing

Home now after covering 4017 miles

uneventful cruise back home, apart from spotting a 80 series with camping trailer heading opposite way on M9 near Glasgow this afternoon ;) good to see you briefly Chris !!! Cruiser looking good :)
Didn't get a chance to wave, but was pretty sure it was him, and text message confirmed he had seen me too :)

Took a while to load the beverages at Home

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Hmm, thought the back end looked a bit low as we passed Andy. Now I know why ha ha.

One thing I noticed in Europe is my Hilux doesn't like the diesel so much
I got around 1-2 mpg less than when running on UK fuel
even with Total excellum - not just supermarket stuff.
filled up an hour south of Calais and drove north through UK at 22mpg at 70mph
could have probably made it to Aberdeen on the tank, but filled up when down to 1/4 tank in Glasgow at a BP garage, and got 23.5 mpg after that driving at same speed and same load of wine :)

same on way south in UK at start of trip was getting 24-25 mpg and it dropped after first fill up in France to 23mpg
maybe they have more bio in the diesel in France and Spain ?

Ahh, but you have a modern D4D thing. I found in mainland Europe mine ran much better on their diesel. No question. The Moroccan stuff was even better.

What a fantastic trip Andy, really enjoyed the photos and the wine. It's hot here too so I didn't have to imagine 37 +

Thanks for posting, fabulous! :thumbup:

One thing I noticed in Europe is my Hilux doesn't like the diesel so much
I got around 1-2 mpg less than when running on UK fuel
even with Total excellum - not just supermarket stuff.
filled up an hour south of Calais and drove north through UK at 22mpg at 70mph
could have probably made it to Aberdeen on the tank, but filled up when down to 1/4 tank in Glasgow at a BP garage, and got 23.5 mpg after that driving at same speed and same load of wine :)

same on way south in UK at start of trip was getting 24-25 mpg and it dropped after first fill up in France to 23mpg
maybe they have more bio in the diesel in France and Spain ?

Hi Andy. That looked like a fantastic trip. Thanks for the great photos and commentary, we hope to do it ourselves one day, but we're saving up for the fuel! However, we are planning to do the North Coast 500 next summer. Is this something you have done and if so, do you have any recommendations along the way? Cheers, Simon

Hi Andy

Thanks for sharing your trip, the pictures look amazing. How long were you away for and how many miles did you cover. I really fancy getting down there next year. I might need to pick your brains re the road books.

Cheers
Roy

Thanks for sharing your trip, the pictures look amazing. How long were you away for and how many miles did you cover. I really fancy getting down there next year. I might need to pick your brains re the road books.

Cheers
Roy
Thanks

we were Away for 2 weeks and covered 4017 miles

i used vibraction roadbook rb28 in main part of Spain and some of RB3 in pyrennes

http://www.vibraction.org/road-books/espagne-portugal/road-book-28/

Wow that is some good millage Andy!! Ill check out the roadbooks tonight. Thanks for sharing!! :)

IMG_1313.JPG
IMG_1311.JPG
Just come back myself Andy complete with pictures of wind farms and Griffen Vultures !!

Same trails Frank?
scenery looks similar
it was nice to see the flowers out before they get frazzled

IMG_1341.JPG
IMG_1319.JPG
IMG_1263.JPG
We only had a main road map Andy so when I saw a track coming up I just took it. Last year in the Pyrenees I got lost and got quite worried. I knew if I went downhill I would find water and would not actually die. Got to tarmac 3 hours later than I intended.

Text is muddled with photos but last one down is the view from our tent in Salamanca.

We stayed in a new tent this year. Cheaper than the Premier Inn Plymouth !!
IMG_1341.JPG
80 is far RHS

Love the reports and pictures! Just a note on your consumption figures, IIRC piston engine efficiency falls at higher altitudes so that may account for your figures, of course I doubt the payload on your return had anything to do with it. :icon-biggrin:

Regards

Dave

If I had a dollar for every time someone said that I would have 1 dollar.

Back