Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Neighbour drives into the truc = New Rear Bumper mods

Cptsideways

Garage
Well it's one of those jobs I had been meaning to do for ages, the bumper corners on the 80's are in my opinion pants. And I am loathed to spend loads of money on a flashy rear bumper of the Floodbasher, which is really what we have it for getting my wife to work in the regular floods we get.

Anyway, its been frosty & cold, I sometimes park my truck on the road outside just down from the junction from our estate. I came home one evening to find the the OSR bumper corner hanging off, thought I'd blame the Mrs but no a note was left on the windscreen :icon-biggrin: Neighbour had driven into it in the frost & pretty much wrote off his car in the process. I was offered £100 which considering their honesty I accepted to call it quits only damage to the truck was the bumper corner fixings.

£20 worth of 120x60mm box section later & I made these corners to fit direct the OE chassis, an afternoon's tinkering with the welder hey presto a simple neat robust solution. Yet to paint & finish but you get the idea.

Short & stubby, notched at the welded end to match the chassis, angled inwards, flat to stand on, ends angled to match the body & give better off road clearance, simples.

2016-01-21_16-17-13_307.jpg2016-01-21_16-17-19_439.jpg2016-01-21_16-17-27_288.jpg

Just think what's that's going to do to there car next time they hit it.....

Nice can opener there Capt., just the way my front ARB opened up the whole side of a Daewoo, the passenger door skin was laying in the road and the rest of the side of the car looked like an empty sardine can :lol:

My LR Disco used to get the end caps damaged by the locals, I took the LR to the UK and fitted some all steel items. I would like to have fabricate some steel corners for the front and rear bumpers on my 80, I would like them to look as stock as possible but unlike the OP my welding is pants so.............

regards

Dave

Hello, not quite the same but my lovely plastic rear bumpers were smashed off in a car park, I was suspicious of the twin wheel tranny that was parked near, and now gone, but who can say? Ordinary cars are far too low to inflict the damage. Anyway, I was discussing the issue with a pal and he made these for me, complemented with front bumper also, which contains the not quite concealed winch. My rears are attached at the front edge very robustly to the chassis, anyone who hits these with their car might regret it, they are very tough, I like them also as they do the job but don't stand out too much, next job on them is zinc plate and powder coat. Also fabricated in, is a provision of a spindle hole ready to take a swing away wheel carrier.
Regards to all, Bill Westleyimage.jpgimage.jpeg

Hello, not quite the same but my lovely plastic rear bumpers were smashed off in a car park, I was suspicious of the twin wheel tranny that was parked near, and now gone, but who can say? Ordinary cars are far too low to inflict the damage. Anyway, I was discussing the issue with a pal and he made these for me, complemented with front bumper also, which contains the not quite concealed winch. My rears are attached at the front edge very robustly to the chassis, anyone who hits these with their car might regret it, they are very tough, I like them also as they do the job but don't stand out too much, next job on them is zinc plate and powder coat. Also fabricated in, is a provision of a spindle hole ready to take a swing away wheel carrier.
Regards to all, Bill WestleyView attachment 24190View attachment 24189

I think those corners are a great substitute for the plastic ones.:thumbup:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
X2, they look great and almost standard. The front appear to me more difficult being rounded, do you have a shot of the front?

regards

Dave

X3, They're really nice there Bill.

Hello, thanks for the I'm image.jpegtrying to add some more pics, ain't easy for old folks like us

I can't tell you the trouble I have getting these pics image.jpg here, and the next person that say " it's easy, all you gotta do is............." image.jpegNow I've got more pics than I know what to do with, image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

image.jpeg image.jpegimage.jpeg
You can get the gist of the bumpers, the aim was to not increase the length too much, but be practical and usable, yeah I know it's the wrong grill but it works nice with the inter cooler behind it, let's plenty of air through. The nibs on the ends are for tracking the winch rope when performing awkward side pulls, just keeps the rope where you want it.( yep it works)

The constant lack of respect during parking of the drivers here means that most cars bumpers are scuffed on the corners. Many are now gluing emery cloth (Grit 10 if it exists) to the bumper corners, great fun watching the paint being torn off the poor parkers. I have made and changed my plans for the 80 so many times I am not sure I would pay out for the 'allowed' bumpers here, just fancy some discreet armour.

regards

Dave

Once on holiday in Spain a local tried to push my lifted etc 300 tdi disco forward into another space, he made a real beaut of towball impression on his Bonnet, it was a Mitsi Lancer as I recall, what a muppet, I suppose when it moved forward a tad on the transmission handbrake he might have thought " here we go, we have a mover" mistake!!
The guy that fabricated my bumpers crafted a set of bumpers for a TD5 Disco that looked almost standard, only anoraks could spot the difference, makes a new meaning of comfort zone,
best regards go all, Bill Westley

Had exactly that while I was sitting in the car! By the time I got out the guy had pushed IIRC twice? He was so intent and concentrating on moving the Disco he did not notice me standing beside his car, I gave his screen a slap! This made him jump and he explained he was trying to make sure the rear of his car cleared the crossing. He also pointed out there was no damage. I pointed out there were now two problems, one for him and one for me. For him my tow ball through the AC condenser and the fluid spraying out, for me...........................he was too bloody old to give him a proper smack in the boat!! :icon-evil:

regards

Dave

Back