Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

New HJ60 Owner

Adrian Boot

Country Flag
scotland
Hey Folks - just joined the group.
Im based near Edinburgh in Scotland.
Two months ago I bought a 1987 HJ60. It was imported from Honduras [LHD] and is in incredible condition, with virtually no rust.
However, I bought it without a mot, and was assured it just needed a few electrics sorting.
But..... It puts out a serious amount of black smoke - way too much to pass a mot.
My garage have investigated pretty much everything. The fuel pump and injectors have been sent to Allertons in Peterborough.
They said the pump is fine, but have refurbished the injectors. Im no mechanic unfortunately!
They are posting them back up and my garage will re assemble everything. Seriously hoping this will help / resolve the black some - or I'm in trouble!
Will keep you posted. Cheers.

Attachments

• tempImageTJcSMl.png
    tempImageTJcSMl.png
    3.7 MB · Views: 24
Hey Folks - just joined the group.
Im based near Edinburgh in Scotland.
Two months ago I bought a 1987 HJ60. It was imported from Honduras [LHD] and is in incredible condition, with virtually no rust.
However, I bought it without a mot, and was assured it just needed a few electrics sorting.
But..... It puts out a serious amount of black smoke - way too much to pass a mot.
My garage have investigated pretty much everything. The fuel pump and injectors have been sent to Allertons in Peterborough.
They said the pump is fine, but have refurbished the injectors. Im no mechanic unfortunately!
They are posting them back up and my garage will re assemble everything. Seriously hoping this will help / resolve the black some - or I'm in trouble!
Will keep you posted. Cheers.
What a beauty, did you import it yourself? If so, any details?

What a beauty, did you import it yourself? If so, any details?
Hi Brett
No it was imported by the original owner.
I have a load of paperwork.
He had it on the road for a couple of years [reg HJZ9060 you can see its short UK mot history].
It was then bought by a heavy truck mechanic who did various upgrades which are great.
However, he also did an engine rebuild [which it didn't need] and somewhere in there seems to be the black smoke problem.
Unfortunately when he sold it to me he made no mention of this - and post sale didn't want to know.
So I now need to deal with it!
It was pretty expensive to buy - and is in remarkable condition - so I need to keep backing it.
Its just kinda frustrating, as I'm certainly no mechanic.
If you are anywhere near Edinburgh come and see it any time. Cheers

Hi Brett
No it was imported by the original owner.
I have a load of paperwork.
He had it on the road for a couple of years [reg HJZ9060 you can see its short UK mot history].
It was then bought by a heavy truck mechanic who did various upgrades which are great.
However, he also did an engine rebuild [which it didn't need] and somewhere in there seems to be the black smoke problem.
Unfortunately when he sold it to me he made no mention of this - and post sale didn't want to know.
So I now need to deal with it!
It was pretty expensive to buy - and is in remarkable condition - so I need to keep backing it.
Its just kinda frustrating, as I'm certainly no mechanic.
If you are anywhere near Edinburgh come and see it any time. Cheers
Thanks for the offer Adrian, I'm in Norfolk so a bit of a trek!

I did nearly buy a HJ61 once, but ended up buying an 80. I regret it really as that was also a minter, imported into Australia from Japan, then exported to UK. It was a grey factory turbo with highline roof and orange decals. I bottled out of buying it in the end, as I was struggling to find an insurer because it was an import.

Asides from the smoke, does the engine run smooth or rough? If the pump has tested out ok, it could just be a fueling set up issue? Has anyone tried adjusting the fueling? let us know how you get on.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Hey Brett
The injectors have been refurbished, and the garage are hoping to put it all back together this week.
Fingers crossed! Cheers Adrian

The is a fuel screw that if turned can produce incredible amount of smoke, is it a 2h engine?

Hi Iwan - I believe its a 2h.
Thanks, I will mention this to the garage. They are going to fit the fuel pump and refurbished injectors back in hopefully this week. Praying for less smoke!

Sounds awfully like overfuelling, and/or poor air supply.

Black smoke is improper;y combusted diesel. Make sure there isnt a blockage in the air supply, especially of the engine has been pulled apart a bit

Thanks Yogi - Its in way too good condition not to have this sorted one way or the other.

I will make it over to my 60 tomorrow and take a picture of where the real fuel screw is on the 2h for you... and add it here. :thumbup:

Thanks Iwan - that would be really helpful.
Cheers Adrian

Hi there Adrian, it's been a while since I've taken a look at my 60 but I've remembered this info from looking at the pump.

DSCF0150.JPG

It''s a little dark and blurry but if you note the fuel primer pump. So the fuel adjustment screw is at the end of the pen.

There's a rod that connects to the lever above this position is as it appears is in the ignition off position/no fuel.

When the ignition is set to run the rod and lever will move full to the lhs in run position. The lever is connected to the EDIC unit which is a safety device that monitors low oil pressure and if the oil pressure is low it will detect this and shut off the motor off to the no fueling stance that we see here in the pic.

There is another fuel control which is on the end of the pump but I do distantly remember that it made no change to the fueling this was 12 years ago.

So with this adjustment to increase fuel you in fact screw it back which allows the lever to open up the fueling to provide more fuel and if too far then it will smoke black like a baxxard! It adjusts the fuel rack inside the quite old fashioned diesel pump.

Hope the info helps and provides some knowledge to how it works... :thumbup:

Hi Iwan - A quick update.
I had a call from the garage yesterday. They have carried out a load of compression and other tests - and unfortunately its an engine rebuild.
Not great and the cost worries me. However, when its done it should be a pretty valuable vehicle. There won't be many in the uk like it.
Thanks again for your help.
Adrian

Any details on what they found when they did the 'load of compression and other tests' ?

Any details on what they found when they did the 'load of compression and other tests' ?
Well the compression tests were very poor and half of what they should have been, or worse. Im really no mechanic, so I struggle with some of the terminology. I am now thinking after the engine re build and new mot I will have to sell it unfortunately. There can't be many in the uk like it, if any! Cheers.

Back