Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

New Tyres

thorsager

For some years now I have been running on Yokohama Geolandar MT 315/75R16 on my 80-series.
They are up for a change VERY soon, and I have been asking around and It seams that I can't get
a new pair because of some EU rule..

The only tyre I'm able to find i "my size" is the "Cooper Discovery STT".. So I was just thinking any
body know how they perform compared to what I'm used to. Or have any input at all on which direction
to go regarding my tyre-choice?

Any input would be great

I can't give you a comparison because I've no experience of the Geolandars, but I've had three sets of the Cooper STT's now on my red 80 and swear by them, they're relatively quiet on the road, grippy in the mud and seen to last quite well :thumbup: (I've never actually kept a check on the mileage obtained :oops: )

315s are wide. :thumbup:

I run on 305/70/16s and had no problems with GG AT2s except in heavy clay which won't spin-out. My biggest problem is I can't buy them here. I have to import them from the UK. :thumbdown:

Just fitted 305/70/16 BFG Mud KM2s, but I haven't got them dirty yet so I can't comment for now!

Idon't intend doing many k's on asphalt with the mud tyres and the GG AT2s will go back on when I've finished renovating the second set of 10"x16 steels they all run on.

Clive

Cossack said:
I can't give you a comparison because I've no experience of the Geolandars, but I've had three sets of the Cooper STT's now on my red 80 and swear by them, they're relatively quiet on the road, grippy in the mud and seen to last quite well :thumbup: (I've never actually kept a check on the mileage obtained :oops: )
Hi Chas,
:lol: I've had three sets of the Cooper STT's now on my red 80 :lol:

Mmm, are they that good, you needed 3 sets?
I would have though, saying I've had [strike:1u2skzew]three[/strike:1u2skzew] one set[strike:1u2skzew]s[/strike:1u2skzew] of the Cooper STT's now on my red 80 would have been more of a longevity advertisement. ?

Gra.

On the subject of EU law changes, what's going on in the UK?

We have a "law" that says "winter tyres in the winter" which means they have to have the snow symbol on them and "summer tyres in the summer" whatever they are.

Dirving on ATs all year round hasn't got me into bother... yet... but I don't know how legal it is to drive on Muds on asphalt.

What does UK law say, 'cos my searches on the internet haven't revealed anything conclusive...

By-the-way, the Yokohama Geolandar MT 315/75R16s look the business! :thumbup:

Clive

Graham said:
Cossack said:
Hi Chas, :lol: I've had three sets of the Cooper STT's now on my red 80 :lol:
Mmm, are they that good, you needed 3 sets?I would have though, saying I've had [strike:3nxc97wj]three[/strike:3nxc97wj] one set[strike:3nxc97wj]s[/strike:3nxc97wj] of the Cooper STT's now on my red 80 would have been more of a longevity advertisement. ? Gra.
That's three sets in about six years and they had been punished on rocky tracks in Morocco and Croatia, and I tend to change them early, I've got a couple in my garage as spares, one of them had a persistent slow puncture and as the fronts were half worn I bought two more and when they were being swapped it came to light that the 'slow puncture' was a twig between tyre wall and rim :doh: so the old ones are now spare ones :thumbup:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Clive

There is no requirement to fit winter tyres in the Uk (yet...), but then I doubt our winters are as cold as yours.

The GG AT2 has also changed, the old style with the distinctive block is now defunct, same eu law, and they have brought out a new, more road biased pattern (looks nothing like the old one) - the manufacturers claim its still excellent off road.

I was looking at the Cooper STT's at a display yesterday, look very nice but too aggressive for my needs, the other option is the ST Maxx, the expedition company had one set of each fitted to their two vehicles and were really keen on them.

A lot of M+S tyres have the snowglake mark, its more to do with the compound its made from than the tread pattern.

Cheers

Pete

Thanks Pete,

Interesting, but it means that I won't be getting any more GGAT2s with a block tread then? I've seen the new road biased profile and can't imagine them working in some of the stuff I've been through with the block pattern, so it looks like I might have to look around a bit.

What's forcing the changes then, is it noise abatement and fuel efficiency regs?

Although as I said, I've got the BFG KM2s for more serious offroad, so maybe a more road biased tyre won't be such a bad combo.

I'll google Cooper STT's & ST Maxx, but it's not easy to get 'strange' sizes here. 315/45/18 has become a norm with the X5s and Caenne's driving around, a 305/70/16 has become a 'special'.

Thanks for the advice. :thumbup:

By the way, any taker's yet for a Romania trip next summer? I'm hoping you can come... it'll give me a good excuse for 2/3 days off!

Clive

Thanks for the input you guys..

I have decided to go with the Coopers (don't really have much choice) I'll let you know
how i turns out.

Back