Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Nitrogen in tyres

mike smith

Country Flag
australia
Ok i have the above in my tyres, didnt know about this. Does anybody else have this and if so what are the benefits/cons etc. I wondered why my dust caps were green metal and not the usual black.

https://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/how-to/a3894/4302788/
So, to answer your specific questions: With nitrogen, your tire pressures will remain more constant, saving you a small amount in fuel and tire-maintenance costs. There will be less moisture inside your tires, meaning less corrosion on your wheels. You will not be able to feel any difference in the ride or handling or braking, unless your tire pressures were seriously out of spec and changing to nitrogen brought them back to the proper numbers.

The thing is if you air-down, you'll need a nitrogen source with you to air back up, or have to use "air" then deflate and re-inflate at your nitrogen source.

Like the avatar Ratchett. That looks like an excellent demonstration. :thumbup:

Nitrogen has certainly proved to be beneficial in race tyres on high-powered race cars/bikes but on a lumbering great 4x4 with road/offroad tyres I would say not. JMO

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Nitrogen has certainly proved to be beneficial in race tyres on high-powered race cars/bikes but on a lumbering great 4x4 with road/offroad tyres I would say not. JMO
It’s like putting Susan Boyle in some lacy underwear. It’s still just a fat ugly bird in fancy pants. Makes a decent noise though!!

It’s like putting Susan Boyle in some lacy underwear. It’s still just a fat ugly bird in fancy pants. Makes a decent noise though!!
Bit harsh Moggy, but I take your point.

A local guy was banging on about the benefits of nitrogen and when he was "pushing on" he could definitely tell the difference. I asked what he was driving (expecting some big end performance car). He ducked the question. Turned out it was a Fiesta. Muppet.

A local guy was banging on about the benefits of nitrogen and when he was "pushing on" he could definitely tell the difference. I asked what he was driving (expecting some big end performance car). He ducked the question. Turned out it was a Fiesta. Muppet.
yeh, but it was a 1300!!!

I know the type. Like the guy in the pub at the TT one year who was telling us he regularly ‘pushed the front’ and had ‘saved a front end slide with his knee’.
Really? On a state of the art race bike on race tyres on a race track and you’re name is Valentino Rossi, then maybe. On a standard road bike on standard road tyres on the road, f**k off. I’ve had numerous rear end ‘slides’ where the back wheel spins up, twitches and steps out maybe an inch or two but feels like a foot! Only ever had one front end slide. The first thing I new about it I was sliding down the road on my arse!

there some of that type not a million miles from here ;)

don't under estimate some peoples fiestas lol, but nitrogen in a 4x4 probably isn't worth it

Save you $$ and by a decent 12V compressor so you can air up/down your tyres when your offroad.

Back