Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Noise coming from rear.

Lexie

Country Flag
great_britain
After nearly a week of head scratching iv traced the squeaking noise to be coming from the rear drive shaft. Always been greased regular and greased tonight again but the annoying noise is stil there.

Anyone had this before?

Hi Lexi,
Maybe funny question ... you still have oil in your rear dif. ?
and you also have oil in your transfercase ?
If yes ... just before the rear dif. you have a protective ring where the drive shaft goes into the dif. Might be coming from there ....

Bit of hunting on google and i think its the rear u joint on the shaft has had its day. Found a post on ih8mud and all syptoms are exact same

Pair of gloves on, grasp each side of the joint and give it a twist and a wiggle up and down too. There shouldn't be any play in it. They don't normally 'squeak' though.

Pair of gloves on, grasp each side of the joint and give it a twist and a wiggle up and down too. There shouldn't be any play in it. They don't normally 'squeak' though.
I had a squeaky one on a Mitsubishi l200. It felt ok. Slight vibration at certain revs and intermitant squeak. Swapped it out and cured the symptoms. Never bothered to inspect the old one to find the cause though.

I had one on a Mk1 Shogun. When I got it apart (I found no play but it was stiff in places) I found two of the needles had crossed. Don't ask me how but that explained why no amount of greasing would sort it. Only heard it with the window open. Sounded like opening and closing a squeaky gate.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I had a UJ that squeaked at low speed, front prop front UJ, one bearing dry as a bone after greasing, just couldn't get grease to that one.

I had a UJ that squeaked at low speed, front prop front UJ, one bearing dry as a bone after greasing, just couldn't get grease to that one.

I had one like that, took it apart, couldn't find any sort of blockage and came to the conclusion that the spider was perhaps too hard against the cap. Filed a small V in the ends of the spider and all was well.

Never heard one squeak but have heard them "ping" as the prop tube acts like an instrument.

I've had a squeeky one aswell. It'd only squeek under hard acceleration.
No play to be found , but one bearing cap was all rusty, often the grease you pump in doesn't find it's way to all the bearing caps and then you get a dry one wich will wear out fast.

Back