Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Not the normal tyre question....

Bernese

Country Flag
england
I usually run General Grabber AT's on my 4x4's as I've tried BFG AT's I the past and had 2 sets changed due to cracking between the tread and it was a pita to get sorted... The 80 I'm picking up has 275x70x16 BFG all round, plenty of tred but showing signs of cracking, could be age or just stood a while I suppose but I thought I'd ask if anyone else had had the issue..... Or it's just me lol...

Just you, I am on my second set of BFG AT KO's, no issues other than not so good in mud ;)

I wasn't too impressed with the condition of my BFG ATs when I replaced them, definitely showing signs.

I know they're looked upon with great esteem - and I don't doubt they've proven themselves as a super tyre brand - but I think there's a risk of people being a little short sighted by just homing in on BFGs as that's what everyone has.

People like labels I guess. And hey, I can't criticise, I've chosen to drive a Toyota 4x4, despite the fact half a dozen other manufacturers would have served me perfectly well no doubt.

Still, I drive a Hilux (and a Surf at that), so I'm not qualified to comment :p

Owen

I've had several sets and indeed still run them. Never had a single issue with either the old or new design. I agree that on a heavy 80, the AT pattern is limited off road. Superb in snow, but in mud they just don't have enough bite. On road they are simply fantastic. I get the notion of being blinkered, but I think there's enough real world experience here to say they are one of the best.

Check the DOT code on the tyres. The 4 last digits resemble the production date.
For example: (1017) means production date 10th week 2017
Tyre rubber cracking is mostly age.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I've had several sets and indeed still run them. Never had a single issue with either the old or new design. I agree that on a heavy 80, the AT pattern is limited off road. Superb in snow, but in mud they just don't have enough bite. On road they are simply fantastic. I get the notion of being blinkered, but I think there's enough real world experience here to say they are one of the best.

My exact thoughts and experience! Used them in competition as well, never an issue. Yes my avatar shows me stuck in mud, so real world experience. The sun here causes cracking on all brands and is often the cause for replacement long before tread is.

Regards

Dave

Last edited:

Like Chris, I'm blinkered too towards BFG AT's. 20 years of running 80's on them with total satisfaction and phenomenal mileage cannot be disregarded. That said I've got some as new Bridgestone Duellers on the petrol Collie and for road use and down the occasional muddy track they have been fine too, that said, if i was buying a new set for it they would be BFG's.

I'm running some 2003's that have been on 4 trucks and been to Morocco and back with someone else. Still going strong.

I'll be going to cooper soon to replace my bfgs!! Mt's though. My bfg km' s are cracking but they're not brand new after all (I'm the 3rd owner)
Going to stt pro instead of km2, very similar price and similar tread pattern but the coppers have better siping which should help with wet weather driving, the km's lack grip on wet tarmac!

Having never owned a set, and also hearing about the high milage they are capable of. Are they not made with a harder compound which adversely effects wet weather driving?

I've had brand new MT's be poor in the wet tbh. Age and hardening will be a factor. Harder compound when new will have an effect too.

Siping in tyres is there for wet/icy/snow conditions, solid rubber tread blocks have less grip then ones with siping.

From what I've read the coopers are a bit softer then the bfg too.

I've a set of STTs in 35" and I can't say I'm that impressed with them. They certainly do not have the best grip in the wet and I didn't find them impressive in mud either. OK I'm in the heavyweight league (yes yes and so is my 80, ha ha) but I don't entirely trust them on roundabouts. Whereas the ATs get chucked into bends with no problems. We encountered a few 'ooer that's tight' corners in the Pyrenees where I think the STT might have let go. They aren't overly noisy at all but switching back to the ATs you realise just how nice they are to drive on.

Errm. They're black and round with a hole in the middle if that helps Gary. I don't know. I'd have to go and look.

Didn't actually know there was a pro / amateur version if I'm honest.

This is what I'm looking at

Screenshot_20170908-190217.png

Had copper stt's on my 80 for 5 years, 100,000 km later there was plenty of tread still but early signs of cracking starting to appear. These were noticeably noisy on road. don't do any serious off road so never put them to there limit. As they hardened with age & importantly sun damage they started to lose grip around round about and also the wet.

Changed to BFG KO's 2 never been happier, so silent and grips the road brilliantly. Only had them 9 months so far limited miles but never looked back.

Back