Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Occasional Wobbler

Hiluxonian

My 70 around about 40 to 55 wobbles like a good'un if I accelerate (eventually) through it it stops and drives as 70's do.

I've had the wheels balanced and it's made no difference there's a tiny bit of play in the swivels but nothing compared to the busted swivel on my hilux that I've driven with for best part of a month with no major effects

I'm assuming it'll be bush related any ideas which one would cause the wheels to wobble so bad that it travels up the column up my arms making my ears flap like dumbo?

Ben had a lot of problems with a serious wobble on his 70, if you have a read through his long thread you will find lots of suggestions!

Pete

As Pete said, ive had problems with death wobble on my 70! :x

get some one to turn the steering wheel left to right while you look underneath. on mine you could see the bolt that goes through the bush on the front panhard rod, moving inside the bush.

i found changing the bushes on the panhard rod, (or changing the rod for one with decent bushes), changing the ball joints on the steering bars, then getting it tracked, and changing the steering damper, seemed to fix it! :thumbup:

mine now drives perfectly. :dance:

I had a wobble at about 55mph on mine a few years ago, turned out to be the steering damper.

Its usually the castor is incorrect but other things such as your loose swivel joints can make it worse.
You need a shop that can do 4wd wheel alignments

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Have you tried giving the UJ's in the propshaft a shake? Any play in them could be the cause.

Thank you for all your suggestions after I've got the lux through it's mot I'll give the 70 a good going over :thumbup:

Fixed it turns out it was the diagonal bar on the front axle (panhard?) the bushes and the bar itself were worn and had a little movement so swapped it for a better one

Will still need to fix the swivels but for now it drives straight and true. Can sell it now without fear

yup thats the panhard rod. :)

glad you got it sorted. :clap:

that was the main thing that caused my death wobble. :thumbdown:

Ben said:
yup thats the panhard rod. :)

glad you got it sorted. :clap:

that was the main thing that caused my death wobble. :thumbdown:
Thank you for your help and others too that's the beauty of forums like this :thumbup:

Death wobble is the right name for it too :lol:

Back