Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

oem style wheel carrier install

Long term results.....

Does anyone have any comments on the long term results / reliability of installing one of these?

I am thinking performance on corrugated roads.

@Olazz - how did your one cope before you installed the double wheel carrier?

@Olazz - how did your one cope before you installed the double wheel carrier?

The OEM carrier was very well supported, but as I was running with much bigger/heavier wheels and tyres so I added gusset supports to stop the frame cracking at the "A" bend. Thankfully it never did, but I was never never really happy with the heavy setup that I was carrying as it did take a lot of hammering on those corrugations.

If you're carrying a std wheel & tyre and it is supported and locked in place, I doubt you'll have any issues.

Thanks @Olazz for the comments.

I am in the process of working on a Cruiser in South Africa for a bush / road trip later this year and we don't want to break the bank with too many extras (we already have roof tents etc...)

We are looking at Running 285/75/16 or 265's BFGs on the factory steel rims (yes I know they are heavy-ish). So hopefully not too much of a burden. I have the same set up on my UK truck and don't see that moving much - but the truck does not spend time on rough roads. I am not planning on bolting on hi lift jack or anything else to the carrier.

Do you by any chance have any photos of the gusset supports you mentioned for my information?

Thanks @Olazz

Do you by any chance have any photos of the gusset supports you mentioned for my information?

I may have some old photos on hard drive. I'll have a look when I have a chance and let you know.

Back