Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Oil Leak

CARROT CRUNCHER

Country Flag
uk
Compliments of the season to one and all.

I have an oil leak which drips front slightly left of centre of the 4.5 petrol in my 80. Now assuming that it is dripping straight down instead of running along something first then could I be right in thinking that it could be the crank case seal. I bought this replacement engine earlier this year and its been running fine, apart from this persistent dripping. Many years ago I had a petrol Isuzu Trooper and it leaked in the same area and that was the crank case seal, so naturally I thought could be the same. If anyone has any ideas (ie known issues) then please feel free to put finger to keyboard, I look forward to your thoughts.

No known oil leaks that I know of CC, but then mines a diesel.

Is it engine oil or gearbox oil or diesel? What does it smell and look like? You say centre left, where? Of the engine or of the whole truck? I'm guessing engine as you refer to the engine here.

Best advice I can give is to wash it off run it for a day or so and crawl under it with a torch.
Check for leaks around your oil filter and anything else oil related.

No known oil leaks that I know of CC, but then mines a diesel.

Is it engine oil or gearbox oil or diesel? What does it smell and look like? You say centre left, where? Of the engine or of the whole truck? I'm guessing engine as you refer to the engine here.

Best advice I can give is to wash it off run it for a day or so and crawl under it with a torch.
Check for leaks around your oil filter and anything else oil related.
It appears to be clean engine oil dripping (albeit slowly) from front of engine, slightly left of centre, seemingly behind the pulleys. A new oil filter was fitted as it was thought by the garage that the old one could have been the problem, however it was not the case and there is still a leak.

It appears to be clean engine oil dripping (albeit slowly) from front of engine, slightly left of centre, seemingly behind the pulleys. A new oil filter was fitted as it was thought by the garage that the old one could have been the problem, however it was not the case and there is still a leak.
Have a look around your power steering pump. These do leak after a period of time. Usually clean oil. Have a sniff of your PS fluid. If it smells burned this is possibly linked. There's a thread on here about it somewhere. Not a difficult rebuild. There is a kit available.

Not meaning its known on the Cruisers (but as above, I've only experience of the diesel) but it does seem the obvious answer.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
On the diesel engine the seal between the power steering pump and engine can leak engine oil so worth washing off and checking. Otherwise it may well be the sump gasket.

Mine leaked PS fluid for some years. The steering began to feel a bit 'notchy' at the extremes and got noisy too. When I stripped the pump I found a tiny 'tea strainer' filter on the unloader to be blocked. This probably caused the unloader to let a little PS fluid past creating lots of heat destroying the seals and the suction pipe. I was (and still am) amazed at how silky smooth the steering is after the pump rebuild.

Last edited:
As suggested above give it a good clean then run the engine, should be easier to locate.
Power steering pump is down in that area and of course the crankshaft seal. The sump didn't get knocked during transport/install did it?
Always possible the leak is higher but cleaning it all off will rule that out.
Only leak I've had was the rear crank seal.

As suggested above give it a good clean then run the engine, should be easier to locate.
Power steering pump is down in that area and of course the crankshaft seal. The sump didn't get knocked during transport/install did it?
Always possible the leak is higher but cleaning it all off will rule that out.
Only leak I've had was the rear crank seal.

Thank you all a real help, its already booked in for p/steering leak, I will emphasise focus on the pump. Hadn't thought of sump gasket, I will get the garage to ferret about a bit. Happy New Year one and all:sunglasses:

Have a look at the power steering pump rebuild thread CC. That way you will know what to expect. I don't know whether your 'booked in' people will expect to rebuild the pump, I expect not. It really is a simple job with the right tools and limited expertise as long as the work is actually done. I think a kit is sub £20 IIRC. A new pump on the other hand is likely to be serious money. Simply changing the O ring where it meets the engine is half the job. Tightening anything won't cure the leak. The pumps are well worth rebuilding.

Have a look at the power steering pump rebuild thread CC. That way you will know what to expect. I don't know whether your 'booked in' people will expect to rebuild the pump, I expect not. It really is a simple job with the right tools and limited expertise as long as the work is actually done. I think a kit is sub £20 IIRC. A new pump on the other hand is likely to be serious money. Simply changing the O ring where it meets the engine is half the job. Tightening anything won't cure the leak. The pumps are well worth rebuilding.

Yet more very useful info, I will call Mr T and get a price on a kit and a new pump too just to scare myself. Thanks for that, a great help.

Back