Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Oil seal replacement advice please.

Nuclear Chicken

Is there anyone on here who has replaced either or both oil seals on the output (drive shaft) side of the front diff?

I have a leak on at least one seal that I noticed a few days back. It seems to be consistent with the extreme cold for whatever reason. Anyway, had a look through the repair manual and seems reasonably straightforward to replace other than the opening up the steering knuckle end of things. The only bit I am unsure about and am unfamiliar with is the pulling out of the drive shaft from the diff. Is it a simple 'pull it out carefully' type manoeuvre? The repair manual doesn't detail that bit (only reference is to a SST that seems to do just that). The end of the shaft in the diff has a snap ring on it of some sort and I can only assume it is there to, more or less, locate the shaft end and a tug will pull it out.

While you lot are thinking, about that I'm going to phone Lindop Toyota and get the seals ordered.
:thumbup: :thumbup:

No knowledge of the 120 but while you're waiting for someone who does I can tell you the 100 series is similar and a good tug gets the shaft out and a copper hammer is sometimes needed to bash it back in again :)

The 120 and 90 are very similar in this respect. An IFS diff is an IFS diff really. TonyP has had his fair share of dealings with the drive shafts as have I. Changing the seals is pretty easy. The shafts do just pop out. I use a tyre lever. You must put new snap rings on though. Best to drain the diff first of course, or jack one side up high enough. Getting the drive shaft out is a bit of a wiggle though. On the 90 it's easiest to take the top wish bone bolt out and let the suspension fall forward. The 120 is a little different in some respects, but the fact is that the drive shaft does not have sufficient 'telescopic-ness' to be able to pull it out of the diff without undoing something.

Not the end of the World if they are weeping. It's not terminal as long as you don't mind the mess and you keep it topped up in the meantime.

Chris

There are some pics in this thread viewtopic.php?f=14&t=7956

Did not take enough pictures taking the wish bone off etc.....

It's relativly easy to get to this point:
929838310_HJska-M.jpg

And this is what the complete drive shaft assembly looks like on the drivers side.
945638116_eTZjS-M.jpg

You can see the snapring on the end of the shaft, which goes into the diff. I found a gentle tap with a hammer on the end releases it enough to allow you to pull it out.

Putting it back is similar, and again you should be able to locate it with a bit of a wiggle and at most a gentle tap....

And here's the diff.

Do yourself a favour and go to your nearest Machine Mart. Ask them for an oil seal puller. It's sort of hook thing on a handle. N need to mank about with a screwdriver trying to get the old ones out. They are made by Draper so have a look on line too. Around a fiver. Top tool.

IMGP3947.jpg

Thanks for the replies chaps. Will get the snap rings too as advised above and if I can a seal puller. Didn't realise they were so cheap.

Not too concerned about the leak per say but gear oil makes a bloody awful mess, especially when some of it if flung off by the spinning shaft.

Thanks again.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
:dance:

Seal pullers just ordered and a 12mm hex key for the diff plugs. Intend to change the oil in the diff anyway.

Back