Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

OK so what did Father Christmas bring you?

nothing.father christmas dose not exist.

OK, I'll take the bait!

Of course he exists! Did nobody teach you he was the spirit of giving at Christmas?

That's why I don't like effigies or people dressed up as Santa, it spoils the whole event IMO!

Last edited:
Hi,
Father Christmas arrived on the 26th (which is not a holiday over here) for us:
DSCF9482.JPG
Now it might not look like much other than a number plate... but it is.
After over 18 months of engineer's report (E300); getting residency; obtaining a baja consultar (E160); initial ITV (MoT E130);letters confirming snorkel, flares, bigger wheels and rollbar were legal in UK and then getting the confirmation officially translated (E50); numerous visits and phone calls and finally all the paperwork, approvals etc (E550) and number plates (E20)that lot equals one legal truck in Spain!!
It has cost just over E1200 but that excludes numerous trips to Malaga, Motril and Almeria and now all we have to is transfer the insurance from the UK plates to the Spanish number.

Loads of people here said we'd never do it... truck too old; truck too modified or you'll give up. We got helped by a local guy who is trying (and is still trying to register his Chevy engined Uas) and he put us in touch with an engineer who collects old vehicles. Our truck is registered as an antique (bit like it's owners then!). The great thing is once you've been here a year, they don't stop you driving the truck as long as you are trying to get it registered.

This is the best Christmas present for us!

Regards

Hi,
Father Christmas arrived on the 26th (which is not a holiday over here) for us:
View attachment 10480
Now it might not look like much other than a number plate... but it is.
After over 18 months of engineer's report (E300); getting residency; obtaining a baja consultar (E160); initial ITV (MoT E130);letters confirming snorkel, flares, bigger wheels and rollbar were legal in UK and then getting the confirmation officially translated (E50); numerous visits and phone calls and finally all the paperwork, approvals etc (E550) and number plates (E20)that lot equals one legal truck in Spain!!
It has cost just over E1200 but that excludes numerous trips to Malaga, Motril and Almeria and now all we have to is transfer the insurance from the UK plates to the Spanish number.

Loads of people here said we'd never do it... truck too old; truck too modified or you'll give up. We got helped by a local guy who is trying (and is still trying to register his Chevy engined Uas) and he put us in touch with an engineer who collects old vehicles. Our truck is registered as an antique (bit like it's owners then!). The great thing is once you've been here a year, they don't stop you driving the truck as long as you are trying to get it registered.

This is the best Christmas present for us!

Regards

That's so cool and worth all the hastle! Well done and a big up for Santa!

Who suggested he doesn't exist? :icon-rolleyes:

A Long way! The STS and Lobo were cool bikes... it's always telling when people hark back to old bikes like those!

I'm still stuck there - the STS was replaced by a '99 Turner RFX which I still have, and there's an Orange X1 frameset kicking around the garage too. Brief dalliance with a GT Zaskar as well, back in the day. Would love an old Cannondale "Beast of the East" though.

Last edited:
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Just like froggy land then! Bah humbug, red tape, job for the boys etc etc, why cant we have an easy life like they do in UK? Jap imports, no problem, from USA no problem, ooo but sir, it doesnt say it was made for France/EU on the paperwork................ there for it must be completely different and clearly not safe...........4
Steve

Just like froggy land then! Bah humbug, red tape, job for the boys etc etc, why cant we have an easy life like they do in UK? Jap imports, no problem, from USA no problem, ooo but sir, it doesnt say it was made for France/EU on the paperwork................ there for it must be completely different and clearly not safe...........4
Steve

Romania is the same Steve :icon-rolleyes:

I could drive a RHD UK spec on UK plates here, but import and register it here :eusa-naughty: Not a prayer! It might be possible to bribe a few, but it would cost a lot and not be worth it long-term.

I spotted a LHD white 80 for sale (on the side of the road with no price) today. I'm sorely tempted to enquire how much and buy it for spares....:think:

Getting there, couple more new bits to buy and few bits to swap still. Still lighter then what it's replacing.

20131228_204950.jpg

Cheers Clive, can't wait to get it set up and go for a ride round the local trail centre.
Did notice the brake pads are all about worn out, added to the shopping list of parts and might go for something a bit more updated.

What are they, Hayes, Avids?

Almost all of my stuff is getting old now, but still working perfectly.

Still a fan of Shimano XT twin piston calipers. They seem to go forever without maintenance (new pads excepted)!

I have Hayes on the Scott Nitro and they suffer from squeal, and Avid juicy on the front of the Merida Cobra which is OK, but all the others are old XTs giving me no problems at all.

What gear set do you have for the build? Again, Shimano XT is my all round favourite, but I have SRAM X9 on 2 bikes and they have been faultless.

The levers and calipers are giant mph (bike started life as a gaint) with shimano 180mm discs, was getting a lot of fade on 160mm so went up a size and to Kevlar pads , still fade if push hard but not as bad. Been recommended to go to ceramic pads but feels a step too far lol.

Swapping the shimano slx gearset over as its always proved reliable, it's taken a hammering and keeps going, 27 speed and just about low enough for any big climbs.
It's on my commuting tyres at the mo (cheapo halfords puncture resistant ones) usually run continental mountain kings.

Only run 100mm travel fork, tried longer travel but seems to suit my riding style. Good thing is rebound is easy to adjust, has a positive and negative air chamber, I'll need re adjust it for the longer frame which takes time but a great fork when its right.

Not a great pic but this is what its upgrading

20130806_165404.jpg

The princess bike is my favorite of course lol. Hard to tell in the pic but the frame is shorter so good for some stuff but terrible for others! Local trail centre has a really good 24 mile route, it was excellent for about 6 of them!!!

Last edited:
Wifey went to a clients for dinner last night - I am laid up with the flu! (day 3 and feeling a little better) but came home with lots of goodies, a pair of marmite socks for me ;), and best of all a BOG IN A BAG! the lady is co sec for Theo Paphitis, who bought the company when it was on Dragons Den, so we should be all set up for camping 'wild' (HWMBO.......not going if there isnt a toilet.....)

Steve

Marmite socks? :icon-surprised: What do you do with them, put them on your toast?

As a lover of the yeasty stuff (keep yer plastic imitations like veggie mite (meard) here is a picture of my now fav socks!

20131230_092339_resized.jpg

Steve

yeah, I know :)
I do eat a lot of it though, toast, cheeze sarnies in stews (with a bit of choccy)
Try some on toast with butter and peanut butter!

yum yum
Steve

Back