image007.jpg

image008.jpg

image009.jpg

image010.jpg

image011.jpg

image012.jpg

image013.jpg

image014.jpg

There's another clip where they swap the front and rear wheels!

They do seem fond of these stunts over there
Must knacker the wheel bearings and tyres amongst over things

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I always wonder how they do it but because they dont use a diff lock(s), or the wheels in the air would be turning (which they never are on the videos) and if its an open diff then the power would all go to the wheels in the air and again they would turn which they dont. :think:

So they must just be rolling in neutral? :?

I've also always wondered how many trucks they roll trying before they are successful for the photos and videos. :think:

If they were open diff and rolling wouldn't the opposite wheels be turning backwards?

Perhaps they can apply the brakes to only the airborne wheels?

I reckon they are fwd only because theres been billions spent on bike development and nobody yet has come up with a 2x2 version probably because it would take fighter jet technology to make it work

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I reckon they are fwd only because theres been billions spent on bike development and nobody yet has come up with a 2x2 version probably because it would take fighter jet technology to make it work

There is such a thing as a 2x2, I saw one at an overlanding gathering at Lincomb in 2010 I think it was. I can't remember the maker though.

IMG_8230.JPG

I recon if they were coasting with open diffs and a slight feathering of the brakes, the airborne wheels would stop rotating. :think:

There is such a thing as a 2x2, I saw one at an overlanding gathering at Lincomb in 2010 I think it was. I can't remember the maker though.

That's a Rokon Trail-breaker.

There are no mainstream 2x2 motorcycles made today despite a few of the big manufacturers playing with the idea. I think it was Yrjo Vesterinen who experimented with a converted trials bike for competitive use back in the 80's but despite having better traction it came with a weight penalty and sapped excessive power from the engine and was found to be less nimble and too unwieldly for serious competition. Apart from the farm type 2 wheelers like the one in the pic, fact is, you just don't need 2wd on a dirt bike 99% of the time and for the odd time it would help, the added cost/complexity/weight just isn't worth it.

Last edited:
Try a google search for "ecorider" they were a 2x2 diesel motorbike made in the UK until fairly recently mostly used by farmers etc as a ATV type vehicle,

No slip diff could keep up with a wheel that turns in a 90 degree ark while the same wheel can tilt to maybe 30 degrees at the same time , it would take fighter jet technology to make steering possible . Doesn't matter on toy mudpluggers because they are not expected to have traction anyway . The point i was trying to make was balancing a car on two wheels would very likely be much easier if only one wheel had power .

Technology to make a bike work . Gilbert set that record in a 2wd truck meaning powered by only 1 wheel .

The challenge with 2wd for bikes is not making it work but keeping it as light as possible.
The trials bike modified in the 80's used a power take off from the engine and fed power to a bevel gear drive on the front hub via a beefed up flexible cable drive much like the flex-drives you can get for use with drill.
http://www.trialscentral.com/forums/topic/33233-2-wheel-drive-swm/

There have been other attempts using different forms of power transmission. Here's one of the latest and most successful attempts on an Enduro bike although not adopted by any of the major manufacturers's as yet.

http://www.bikesales.com.au/content/news/2011/enduro/honda/2wd-honda-crf450x-27222

Back