Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

overlanding with a dog:-)

IRLGW

I would like to spend a few months driving my lc to SA next year but whether or not the dog can travel is going to be a big factor..Has anyone brought a pet with them overlanding or know of anyone who has? I gogled it and while quite a few people ask the question no-one appears to have answered it!

Not sure how feasible that would be. Some countries will have veterinarian borders within them to control movement of livestock, domestic animals and meat products in an effort to stem the spread if disease amongst animals.

Namibia for one is pretty strict. All vehicles crossing this border are searched with all meat products confiscated.

I looked into this in detail to see if we could take our mutt with us, driving to SA.

Could not get answers from the state vets on what exactly would be required. I knew, at the time, getting to Angola would be no problem, but Namibia, Bots and SA would pose problems.

So we sent him by plane.

Then we met a couple in DRC who had travelled from Europe all the way to SA (east coast route) and up the west coast as far as DRC with their German Shepherd. They said they had absolutely no problems. AFAIK getting into Nam from SA with a dog is ok, you are supposed to go register your dog in Windhoek, but nobody does ;)

They reckoned the only headaches they had was finding campsites in SA that would accept a dog. :roll: All other countries were ok with dogs and camping.

I will find their contact details and let you know.

The mutt concerned:

IMG_2203.JPG

In western Africa, there shouldn't be a problem.
A friend of mine travels with his dog there for some years and has no problems on borders. Morocco, Western Sahara, Mauretania, Mali, Niger, Senegal, Guinea and probably some others countries around.
And Africa is not Europe: everything is negotiable, even if it is forbidden by the law. ;)

Don't know about the south.

That all sounds really promising guys and thanks for the info- certainly any contacts for anyone who has done it would be excellent. I think I now just need to see what the easiest way to get her back into europe.

Someone else mentioned that there may be heartworms and other infections in Africa that the dog wouldn't normally be immunised against but don't any confirmation of this either or seem to be able to find any info on it so again if anyone has had to further immunise their dog this would be useful:)

Cheers
Glen

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Crushers said:
if that was my dog, i wouldn't want to leave him behind either ... he is CUTE. :mrgreen:
:D :thumbup:

Glen, we had to have our dog treated for heartworm for 6 months once in Africa. You're right they normally aren't treated for it. Its no big deal, just 1 tablet monthly for 6 months. Cost just a few quid from the vet.

I'd guess the main issue will be bringing the dog BACK into Ireland. I know once a dogs been in Africa (or out of Europe at all) and then to come back into the UK there are strict quarantine requirements. Mainland Europe is much more relaxed about it though. Hopefully Ireland arent too strict.

The people who went all over with their dog have a website: http://rondjeafrika.nl/Paginas/Hond.html

Good luck :)

Quarantine has all changed now - have a read on the government web site. Much easier now with a pet passport etc - in line with Europe from the beginning of the year. Just need a microchip, rabies vaccination, blood test to verify anti-body levels and a short wait at home before travelling.... Loosely anyway.

The govt website has all the requirements - but pretty much no more 6 month quarantine, thank goodness.

Thanks gary that's awesome. I have the full eu passport for my dog two years now but never left the country! At the moment the whole trip would depend on being able to take her or not. Heartworm tablets will be on the list then and what about antidotes for poisonous bites or is this taking it too far? Hope she doesn't roll in elephant pooh the way she rolls in deer sheep s**t....

Back