Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

PC or Mac - incoming fire!!!!

With you there. Tablets are great.

I really was not sure about them when i was given my ipad. I was wrong when i had though it was just an oversized iphone. Within a few days I was sold on the concept. Whilst the ipad cant do the design and coding work, for other data enquiry tasks it is excellent. And its lead to my developing some interesting database solutions for clients.

I have my Bluetooth trackpad working with it too for even more flexibility.

I use both MAC and PC ( XP-Pro), so I can see both sides. I'll say this only. There is no way I'd put any of my Windows machines on the internet. This is a absolute. If you're going to be doing alot of surfing on the interweb, stay far far away from Windows. Since MAC went Intel things haven't been so clear cut as far as the safe surfing is concerned but it's still a whole heap safer than a PC. That's my two cent.......

JC

The Dark Dude

My Imac and Ipad.

It doesn't do everything I want, but that is because I haven't learned how to do it Apple style or I haven't bought the specific apple software for it. No need to pay for things twice.

The problem with the microsoft computers going BURP isn't the hardware, if used stand alone they run fine for a very long time. In a small local network it works great.

Hook it up to the net and you invite the devil for dinner. I never asked for all kinds of unwanted e-mail, I don't want spyware, nor do I need the newest virus crashing my computer. I just want to use my electronic aid, eye on the world, digital newspaper.

The Apple publicity has the same style as the Landrover publicity. Everyone using a computer knows its out there. Often uses words as magical, will change the world, will change the way we communicate, ... They do know how to attract your attention!

My XPhome laptop has seen service twice, it just slows down when hooked up to the net, someone has used remote control for a whole afternoon. Problem not solved with that specific program.
The Win7 compact computer runs fine, hooked up to the net. Our youngest uses it for homework and his social scene. And it was dirt cheap.

I've been on a computer since floppy disks and monochrome screens. In the prehistoric era when the WWW was dial up connection.

How apple compares to microsoft.
Well just like landcruiser 80's and defenders.

One uses positive engineering to gain forwards momentum, lockers !!!
The other uses negative engineering to hopefully keep the forward momentum going, ETC through applying brakes.
Who would even dream of stepping on a brake to go forward????

Apple builds on a stable operating system, windows throws patches at a problem.

Guys, what turned out to be a bit of fun has been quite illuminating. Thank you all very much. Incidentally the GPS on the Netbook didn't make it to the end of the road before it locked. Now it WAS working just perfectly with my old BT GPS binger. But since I connected this new USB one, it's all gone Pete Tong on me.

Chris

Off roading was great. Going again tomorrow. Winch had to come out and.... well that's another topic isn't it. My TDS 9500 pulled and pulled and pulled. It never once even looked like struggling and the Disco that it was pulling out was soooo deep that they had to climb out of the windows. His rope snapped 5 times trying to get himself out. I strapped to a Birch tree, hit 'IN' and never let go til he was out. Need a rescue myself later. Didn't know that you switched Warn winches on and off by hitting them with a hammer. Live and learn people. Live and learn. Might stick the rear winch in tomorrow!
I think we could have a cracking weekend up there as a club.

[youtube:1uhpdl2c]JCsyA4DHwHE[/youtube:1uhpdl2c]

If its something like the above, I'll show up from across the channel.

I HATE the entire idea of tablets. I see it as just another marketing gimmick to separate suckers from their cash. As a functional tool of work ( in comparison to something like a MacBook Pro) a tablet is next to worthless.

JC

The Dark Dude

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Not sure I get them either. Great on the move perhaps, but a substitute for a lap top?

Chris

Well for me i have only just got an iphone and love it, im sitting here on an 7 year old pc with xp it does work but i do get a few problems with it locking but this only seems to be when i have just had an update thrown at it. will i be saving up for a mac for when this finally dies?

Oh yes :thumbup:

Joe

Dark Dude said:
I HATE the entire idea of tablets. I see it as just another marketing gimmick to separate suckers from their cash. As a functional tool of work ( in comparison to something like a MacBook Pro) a tablet is next to worthless.

JC

The Dark Dude

My iPad is more of a functional tool for me at work than a laptop

Just push the on button and use it anywhere, I use email, spread sheets, word processor stuff all the time
Viewing PDFs is great even better is I can go to a machine find a instruction sheet for a component online and that makes fixing things so much faster, customers like it to less down time and less of my time which is also costly.

I have used laptops with bluetooth to my phone or with a gsm dongle in the past but it's a pain

Tablets are the future, I can see kids taking them to school in years to come, think about it all your paper work in one device.... I was looking for a pen in my car on Friday and I realised how little I written since having this tool, sat typing this on my ipad in the garden now!

Its pretty good having the factory service manuals stored on mine too.

Back