Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Petrol put into 1hdft 80 series

grantw

Supporter
Hi guys, an Armenian service station attendant filled our 80 with petrol when we were just under half full.

we ran until lost power as I didn’t know and tried starting a few times where it ran rough.

is any damage likely?

thanks

You can never say never Grant, but these old rigs are pretty bomb proof. Drain and refill. It will cough a bit and smoke some, but longer term you might find it's given it a worthwhile clean out. Mine did! Some petrol in diesel is a normal mix in some climates - up to 5% IIRC. But this is a bit more than that. My guess is that you'll be fine but a bit lumpy for a bit.

Been there a couple of times Grant..And never had any ill affects, Like Chris says drain and clean the best you can Stick a new filter on if you got one.. Both times iv had this problem the engine ran Better, The missus Diesel skoda ran for 70 odd miles on neat petrol before she realised,, Even with its electronics there were no affects at all ... Ran Better after a clean out ...Good luck Grant

Hi guys, an Armenian service station attendant filled our 80 with petrol when we were just under half full.

we ran until lost power as I didn’t know and tried starting a few times where it ran rough.

is any damage likely?

thanks
That's a bu**er Grant, it's happened to me a couple of times,my own stupid fault, didn't seem to cause any damage though, when realised I just kept topping up with diesel at every opportunity

Thanks guys!

the service station that did it sorted it all out in the end no questions asked. Apart from the smarmy young attendant that filled it. They Towed us back, drained the petrol diesel mix and filled us back up with diesel all no charge.

What ever the quality of the petrol is here I don’t know but there is no way we were going to drive away as we would barely idle.

We really didn’t run long enough for a clean out - we maybe did 4kms and we were at a stand still.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Glad you managed to resolve the problem... I was hoping that it wouldn't be a trip spoiler for you guys

Is it worth changing out the filter? As surely all the crap with have been stirred up.

Glad you managed to resolve the problem... I was hoping that it wouldn't be a trip spoiler for you guys

Thanks mate - It was quite concerning the way it stopped.

Is it worth changing out the filter? As surely all the crap with have been stirred up.

It's well over due for a fuel filter swap which I'll do in a couple of days. I bought two with us for just this situation ... the mechanics seemed to think it wasn't needed.

Back