Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Positive feed in rear door

fridayman

Garage
I need a positive feed in the rear door of my Colorado to mount a door table light. Ideally I need it to be available even if the ignition is off. Any ideas?

For that on mine I took it all the way from the battery :lol:

Gary Stockton said:
For that on mine I took it all the way from the battery :lol:

I'll keep that as plan B :)

Ideally I can just pick up a feed that is already in the door, but I don't think any of them (brake light, reverse light, wiper...) are on while the ignition is off. All I can think is to run a wire from the rear boot light down the pillar and into the door.

Yep I ran into the same issue. So I've run a ring-main into the vehicle from the battery to which I'm adding the power bus bar gizmo (I've just tapped straight into it for now) and I'm taking all my requirements from that. Much easier in the long run - you know where it is and that it interferes with nothing else and everything is fused properly :lol:

You could always use the O/S reversing light feed wire as a starting point (I recently extensively research this wire and its no use as a reversing light feed)! It terminates in the loom for the O/S body mounted rear light cluster behind the cluster, you could extend this into the rear door. The other end of it can be found behind the right hand kick panel in the drivers foot-well coming to an end in the brown loom plug, you could just remove it from the plug and extend it to a convienient constant positive supply from the small fuse box under the steering coulomb :)

If you want more detail I have many many photos detailing exactly what I've just spoken of. Let me know & I'll upload them to Photobucket for you :thumbup:

PS - The wire in question is RED with a BLACK stripe :)

Gary Stockton said:
Yep I ran into the same issue. So I've run a ring-main into the vehicle from the battery to which I'm adding the power bus bar gizmo (I've just tapped straight into it for now) and I'm taking all my requirements from that. Much easier in the long run - you know where it is and that it interferes with nothing else and everything is fused properly :lol:

I will essentially be doing something similar when I run the power from 2nd battery (in the engine bay) back to the rear, and then distribute it from there for power points, fridge, inverter, table light, etc. But for now, I just want to power the light in the easiest way.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
sae70 said:
You could always use the O/S reversing light feed wire as a starting point (I recently extensively research this wire and its no use as a reversing light feed)! It terminates in the loom for the O/S body mounted rear light cluster behind the cluster, you could extend this into the rear door. The other end of it can be found behind the right hand kick panel in the drivers foot-well coming to an end in the brown loom plug, you could just remove it from the plug and extend it to a convienient constant positive supply from the small fuse box under the steering coulomb :)

If you want more detail I have many many photos detailing exactly what I've just spoken of. Let me know & I'll upload them to Photobucket for you :thumbup:

PS - The wire in question is RED with a BLACK stripe :)

It would be great if I could take a look at this. Might just be what I am looking for. I could take the feed from the cigarette or clock...

fridayman said:
It would be great if I could take a look at this. Might just be what I am looking for. I could take the feed from the cigarette or clock...
Here you go :)

I don't have a photo of the wire/connector behind the O/S body mounted light, but if yours is the same as mine its very easy to identify once you've removed the cluster. Its the RED wire with a BLACK stripe that goes no further than the small white plastic connector that also has an Earth/Ground wire in it (WHITE c/w BLACK stripe) and the Fog light wire (RED c/w YELLOW stripe, I think :think: ). I would just cut it loose from the connector, leaving about an inch or so still attached to the connector in-case you wish to reinstate it in the future. Then extend it with a simple solder joint to the location within the rear door that you desire.

The other end of the unused reversing light wire can be found here;
P1240339.jpg

Looking into the back of the female plug its this one;
P1240341.jpg

Here's another photo of it with the plug removed from the male half;
P1240342.jpg

This is a view inside the male plug. You can see that there's no pin in the opposing position;
P1240344.jpg

Here's a view of the back of the male plug to confirm that MrT decided that it would be cheaper to leave this wire out :roll:
P1240343.jpg

Again cut the reversing wire loose from the plug, leaving an inch or so sticking out of the plug in-case you ever change your mind and then again using a simple solder joint, extend this up-to the small fuse box just below the steering wheel. Once there identify a wire coming away from the down stream side of the 10Amp fuse marked 'Gauge' that you can see in the image below, this fuse does the clock, pod lights, dash lights, interior lights the reversing light etc. There would then be no need to buy an additional fuse and fuse holder.

P1290373.jpg

If you download this https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0BwDYiT ... ZGI0&hl=nl and look on page 8 you'll find a schematic of the fuse box and this will help you identify where you can pick a permanent feed up from the down stream side of the 'Gauge' fuse. Looks like pin 1 of connector 1J, pins 7 & 12 of connector 1B and pin 2 of connector 1F but please check for yourself to be certain.

Hope this helps :)

Thanks. I'm going to take a look at it this weekend. The light arrived this afternoon.

Back