Country Flag
ireland
ReferenceDescriptionQtyPriceUnit priceTotalVAT
OME861 TOY 80/100 LOW HD FRONT.SPRING2,0093,5420,00%74,83149,6621%
OME864 TOY 80/100 VHD REAR SPRING2,00105,0420,00%84,03168,0621%
N73 TOY.80,100 FIRM FRONT.NIT.BUFF2,00110,8620,00%88,69177,3821%
N74E TOY.80,100 FIRM REAR NIT.BUFF.2,00110,8620,00%88,69177,3821%
Dear
This is full supsension kit for HDJ80 - +50MM FRONT 110 KG EXTRA LOAD - REAR 400 KGS EXTRA LOAD

I was looking for an OME suspension setup for towing and overlanding with a winch bar.

Does this seem right (prices in Euro)

ReferenceDescriptionQtyPriceUnit priceTotalVAT
OME861TOY 80/100 LOW HD FRONT.SPRING2,0093,5420,00%74,83149,6621%
OME864TOY 80/100 VHD REAR SPRING2,00105,0420,00%84,03168,0621%
N73TOY.80,100 FIRM FRONT.NIT.BUFF2,00110,8620,00%88,69177,3821%
N74ETOY.80,100 FIRM REAR NIT.BUFF.2,00110,8620,00%88,69177,3821%
Dear
This is full supsension kit for HDJ80 - +50MM FRONT 110 KG EXTRA LOAD - REAR 400 KGS EXTRA LOAD

I was looking for an OME suspension setup for towing and overlanding with a winch bar.

Does this seem right (prices in Euro)

Think they mean 851 for the front for +50mm, or possibly 850's for more weight, the 861's are standard ish height. At the back, 864's need a fair amount of weight on to work well?

Thanks John, I'm a bit out of my comfort zone here, usually if I had to replace a spring or shock I'd be ringing round the local motor factors or breakers for quite simply the cheapest ones possible.

What would you recommend over all for the truck?

Spec is for a winch and winch bumper on the front and for the rear, well a combination of overlanding (will head off for a month or 2 next summer and going to do a longer 6ish month trip in 2015 to the Stans and Mongolia) and at home for towing cattle trailer/horse trailers potentially with a fair bit of weight on. Its really more for an overlanding set up because the amount of towing it will do will be short distances and not that frequent.
That's part of how I justified buying it to myself, as I needed a new lorry or this, and I'm not competing any more really so its not like I'm driving the length of Ireland once or twice a week with 4 or 5 horses these days. Not much point in running a lorry whan the old one only did 2000 miles in the last 14 months.

Its not really going to be used other than that except for a small bit of general on farm and an occasional drive if things are quiet to keep it from sitting up for more than a week. Its not going to be a daily driver in any shape or form, I have plenty of cars to fulfil that role.

others have more recent experience of the various spring combos than me. Do you pack heavy for trips kitchen sink etc or are you a minimalist?

If it's of any interest, I've managed to locate the lift listings for my 80 back in 2008.

image.jpg

It has an ARB front winch bumper + winch and an ARB rear bumper with swing out carrier.

running without the rear bumper at the mo and it's a bit hard, but when it's on, the ride is just fine. I have a good 40 kg of rack on the roof as well. A good set up, recommended :icon-biggrin:

BTW The lift was circa 75mm.

Should add that the prices were in Euro, but it was along time ago (and all still going strong!).

Last edited:
Jon I think I'd be more in the minimalist category, but I was thinking of adding an axillary fuel tank of some type, if I can figure out a way to do it cheaply, and some form of water tank. So TBH that's well over 120kg before you put in a spare pair of socks!!

Stick on a spare wheel or 2, a few tools and a few more pairs of socks and I think your well over 250kg without even trying. Having read the like of Rob's Mongolia trip report it seems better to err on the side of caution for weight capacity.
Anyway, if its a bit 'harsh' with no weight on that really doesn't bother me.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
The J versions in Clive's list are just a bit longer which is why he got more lift. IIRC 850's are a better match for N73's than the 851's which would be a bit over damped. Doesn't sound like a minimalist list, maybe you'll need 868's on the back :lol:

And if I didn't go OME what else would people recommend?

Regarding my experience using inadequate springs, I now run +50mm OME 850/863 with 60018/60020 sport shocks and it was a massive improvement when I went to Morocco last year. I took a little bit less weight this time and the truck rode level. As I have a very heavy front bumper and winch the front sits a bit low compared with the rear when unloaded but at least I have a lift on the front now rather that standard height with the Ironman B springs I had before.

As the 864's would be harsh when empty I would suggest running air bags with 863's for maximum flexibility, but you may want to pay attention to the dampers as the OME sport shocks may need to be changed to 60071's in order to match the increased combined stiffness of the air bags and 863 coils. If you stick with the Nitrocharger N74E shocks then it should not be a problem but the overall ride will not be as good. Have a look at the link below for more detailed info. In the ideal world you would just change the coils/dampers to match the load on the trip but that may be a bit too much extra cost and hassle for some.

View attachment www.arbusa.com_Uploads_PDF_onlineManualsGuides_OME_Guide_current.pdf

Full document can be found here: http://www.arbusa.com/Uploads/PDF/onlineManualsGuides/OME_Guide_current.pdf

The only other 2 viable options are Pedders, but none of us have tested them for overland use, or Slinky kits that Overland Cruisers sell but they can be a lot of money. Going by my experience I would recommend to stay away from Ironman.

Last edited:
Rob,

I looked at the Pedders set up, but TBH they don't get good feedback on Oz and seem to be viewed as a budget option across the board. And your right the slinky kit just seems a bit pricey for my liking.

I'd not be too worried about the 864's being a bit harsh when empty, as the truck will only ever be used towing if not on a trip. And it just seems more hassle and expense to go changing coils and shocks than its worth, it would be different if it was going to revert to DD status say when at home.

Going through that stuff and another thing I lokked at last night, the conclusion I had come to was this set up.

FRONT 850's with 60070 shocks.
REAR 864's with 60071 shocks.

Was also thinking of adding a SD24 steering damper?

I'm kind of keen to avoid airbags as that just seems to be extra complexity and another feature to fail?

Just to let you know that Julian at Overland Cruisers recommended that I should fit 60018 shocks rather than the frimer valved 60070 shocks with the 850 colis. Can't remember why though.

From what I have heard, the 864 coils will be really harsh when unloaded even when not towing. Might be case of keeping a significant amount of your kit in the LC at all times to improve the ride quality.

My understanding is that the air bags are pretty tough.

Back