Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Power Feed to LJ78 Landrcuiser Prado Headlamp Washer Motor

zfsteering

I have established that the motor runs by connecting a power source direct to the motor power coupling and sprays.

The problem is the power feed into the motor as there is none when the headlamp lights are on & the washer button on the wipe stalk is depressed.

The main screen washer works fine.

Can a forum member please enlighten me as to whether the headlamp washer has it's own fuse and/or relay apart from the main screen washers?

Any other power problems that anyone else has had on the washers and tips would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Stephen

Can a forum member please enlighten me as to whether the headlamp washer has it's own fuse and/or relay apart from the main screen washers?

Any other power problems that anyone else has had on the washers and tips would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Stephen

Headlamp cleaner has it´s own relay located at right hand front corner in the engine bay. My LJ70 had exactly same problem, i bought used part from Toyota Celica, Supra or similar and fixed the problem. Original relay seems to be un-waterproof because small circuit board was mostly corroded.
Relay number is 85276-22070.

On further investigate the 85276-22070 part number given from an LJ70 does not seem to be the correct one for the LJ78.
The LJ78 part is 85276-22060 which now superceeds to 85942-60010 at a cost of £126 ex vat from Toyota.

Both vehicle have identical shape relays with the same connecting plug profiles but the LJ70 has four (4) pins and the LJ78 five pins.

Can a forum member advise if these two are interchangeable?

Thanks.

Stephen

5pin relay fits Previa and Corolla too so there´d be plenty of those on scrap yards. Cost is probably one third of Toyotas £126 so i´d try one, it takes a minute to test.

Thanks spotlight for your help.

There are two valves on the headlamp washer hoses (Part no: 85031-30020) which have directional arrows embossed on them. Can you tell me which way they point to, the pump or nozzle?

I have a feeling one of them may be in the wrong direction as fluid pours out of the back end when the tank is filled up?

Stephen

Thanks spotlight for your help.

There are two valves on the headlamp washer hoses (Part no: 85031-30020) which have directional arrows embossed on them. Can you tell me which way they point to, the pump or nozzle?

I have a feeling one of them may be in the wrong direction as fluid pours out of the back end when the tank is filled up?

Stephen

I had the same problem on my 80, water was leaking from the back of the valve. They have a spring loaded restriction valve which prevents water from moving through under gravity, but allows it through under pressure.

I also think the idea of the hole (where yours is leaking from) is to allow water to drain back and away from the nozzle, to prevent freeing up in the winter.

The only answer to my problem was to replace them.

Last edited:
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I have a perfect diagram for this but forum software won´t let me post any URL´s. So i sent it to "zfsteering" via private messages.

Last edited:
Thanks spotlight for the diagram. The valve was in the hose the correct way so it would seem it is defective.

Regards,

Stephen

Conclusion

A replacement five pin relay 85942-60010 was installed and enabled the pump circuit to wash on the headlamp beam when pressed. Job done.

The reason the fluid tank was always empty and draining onto the street when filling was a faulty one way valve 85031-30020. This is situated near the nozzles either side. Replaced the faulty one, the fluid tank now fills up.

Thanks everyone for your input & assistance on this problem.

All the best.

Stephen

Back