Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

power steering pump

frank rabbets

Guru
I appear to have a very small leak from the power steering pump bolted to the front lower side of the engine. I've looked under "engine" and "steering" section of the FSM but cannot see a reference for it's removal. Looking at the pump removal does not look obvious. Anyone know if it's straightforward? Could a leak in this area be something else. Not dripping yet. 24 valve 1995

Frank

I think Rob did a write up on doing this.

HI Frank

IIRC a bit of brake fluid in the reservoir causes the seals to swell and might be a temp fox for you?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Hi Frank, simple job to do, support vehicle & remove front wheel for best access, rebuild kit available from Toyota, iirc about £45.

Thanks for everyones help on this. Something I don't understand..........is it power steering pump fluid coming out of the pump; or is it engine oil leaking out from the joint between pump and engine? Not enough oil yet for me to see what it is.

Thanks
Frank

Be sure to check injection pump for leaks, as it sits directly above ps pump.

Just about to start work but need to check something. The ps pump appears to be underneath the injector pump, but there is also a part sticking forward with pipes coming off. Is this also part of the pump.

Thanks
Frank

Frank,

Its difficult to understand from your description...

There are 'hardline' ends to the power steering hoses - but other than that, no its one component, see here:

diag_AERlGq.png

& compare with Rob's write up etc... or take a pic?

Hope this helps

frank rabbets said:
Just about to start work but need to check something. The ps pump appears to be underneath the injector pump, but there is also a part sticking forward with pipes coming off. Is this also part of the pump.

Thanks
Frank
Yes Frank, the Power Steering pump is below the fuel pump :thumbup:

The bit 'sticking forward' is the vacuum pump, see image below:-

i-p6mdT2M-L.jpg

Fantastic!!
Thanks both. A n exploded diagram and a pic. So clear from the pic. Think I'll take engine out! I had a quick look and thought the 2 studs went all the way through bolting 2 halves to a central flange.

Cheers
Frank

Yes I remember that ! I was so amazed that I emailed the pics to a friend who wrote the workshop manual for the airbus wing as we have always worked on projects together since 60's. [not the wing]. It's mustard gas this weekend.........phostoxin.

Frank

frank rabbets said:
We have always worked on projects together since 60's. It's mustard gas this weekend.........phostoxin.
Frank

:? You're writing a manual on the deployment of Mustard Gas :o :?: :?:

(I think I'm not understanding something here :doh: ).

Bob.

Not many people understand me Bob. He's got moles and a tin of mustard gas mole killer which he cannot open so he's coming up today to open it with help of my garage, Way off topic.

Frank

The leak turned out to be engine oil coming out between the pump and the timing case to which it is bolted. So I took the pump off degreased everything with acetone and resealed the original face fitting "o" ring with silicone and it is OK now.

There is a valve? fitted onto the top banjo fitting on the ps pump. It has 2 pipes, one going to the vacuum pump and one to the rest of the vacuum circuit. Does anyone know what it is for? Also does it matter which way the pipes go on?

Frank

Back