Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Powys laning: Lower Claerwen and others (photos)

diggerdave

We went off to mid-Wales last weekend to do some of the many classic lanes, amongst them Lower Claerwen. You may recognise the dam as it's the one that Richard Hammond winched himself up in a Series 1 LR in the last series of Top Gear. Just looking up at the dam made me giddy. As it happens I've driven the very same Series 1 that Hammond used (437 DEL) and, despite it being a very solid-seeming car, I can't imagine doing what he did!

We also did some other lanes, one of which had a great muddy sideslope.

Next month, back on home turf and we will be off to the North York Moors for Rudland Rigg and some deep fords... and (if we're really lucky) a sprinkling of the white stuff.
DSCF8918.jpg
DSCF8923.jpg
WP_20161120_11_13_02_Pro.jpg
DSCF8956.jpg
DSCF8998.jpg

Great work diggerdave! A lane that is on my list as it's relatively local to me. It's a no through road is it not? Back down the way you came?

I noticed on an old thread you were shopping for new tyres, possibly 235 85 16. Did you go that size in the end?

Hi Oak. Lower Claerwen is a through road. I think you might be thinking of the other (Upper?) Claerwen, which is a dead end unless you obtain the landowners permission to use a short section of private road. By all accounts, it's the sort of 'lane' you could drive in a Nissan Micra, so we didn't think it was worth the hassle this time although it is said to be very scenic. Lower Claerwen on the other hand has some fun rock climbs and water and mud - nothing too challenging but you need 4wd.

I'm still on my Insa Turbo Traction Tracks. They are lasting really well with over 25,000 miles. They are somewhat worn especially at the front but still very serviceable. I'm going to swap front to back this weekend so they may go on for another 10,000. I wasn't anticipating them lasting this long!

...dig my map out... ah I see, lower track leading up to the dam.

The bottom end of the track looks like it's a bridle way? Do yo access from the road across a ford, or are you starting right at the bottom at Rhiwnant?

Have you done Soar y Mynydd by any chance?

Good news about your tyre longevity. I had some Insa turbo rangers on my Shogun. They didn't seem to be lasting as long as I'd hoped, but at about £70 each i really couldn't complain.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Oak, the southwest end is shown on some OS maps as a restricted byway (which, in theory, is not legal to drive). However I think in this case that the OS have made a mistake or it's one of those rare restricted bridleways with vehicular rights (I understand there are some in Salisbury Plain too).

Soar y Mynydd is near Strata, yes? I can't remember if I've done it or not - not being local I don't know the names of the Welsh lanes by heart. I'll have to check my maps/notes and get back to you.

I can heartily recommend Traction Tracks to anyone. Their grip in mud and on rock has been excellent and they're civilised on tarmac too (my car is my daily driver). I can't believe how well they've lasted too

Yes Soar y mynydd is south of Strata Florida and can be used as a loop when doing SF.

OS do get it wrong sometimes! I have two copies of the Explorer Map for Aberystwyth, one shows a lane as a BOAT the other a bridle way. I would never have know otherwise..

Good set of lanes round that way.
Some of The fords will probably be deep in the moors this time of year, Rudland is one of my favourite local lanes. If see the park ranger landy around its likely to have the local copper in the passenger seat, nice chap and often stops for a friendly chat.

Gary, I'm looking forward to Rudland Rigg again. There are a few lanes in the NYM that I haven't done so I'm trying to incorporate some of them into a route... and maybe have a contingency in case the Bank Lane ford over the Esk near Glaisedale/Lealholm is too high. I last drove it last December at an indicated 2.5 feet and it was ok so fingers crossed!

According to Trailwise, the neighbouring Rake Lane ford is closed although I'm sceptical about random 'road closed' signs; there was one at the foot of the approach to Rudland Rigg from Church Houses for the best part of a year for no discernable reason.

There's a few lanes that have been closed but still plenty of good ones. I don't tend to drive the fords tbh as usually a solo vehicle.
If over near Egton I recommend the wheatsheaf Inn for a lunch stop, nice atmosphere and food has always been good.

Couple of good lanes and fords Grosmont way too.

Gary, thanks for the tip about the Wheatsheaf in Egton. Top pub! We were made very welcome by the very friendly management and the food was excellent :text-+1:

The fords I mentioned above were all open BTW and have been recently repaired. We did the Grosmont fords you mentioned, which are in a spectacular gorge

Are any of these lanes close to Harlech? I will be there in June and would be nice to fit in a day or two laning.

Are any of these lanes close to Harlech? I will be there in June and would be nice to fit in a day or two laning.

I'm not a local and I don't know the welsh lanes very well, but the ones above are a fair way south in the area around Builth Wells.

I can't recommend joining GLASS strongly enough to get access to Trailwise, which is an online database of legal lanes complete with user comments. I often just dip in to it if I'm going somewhere to check out the local lanes

Gary, thanks for the tip about the Wheatsheaf in Egton. Top pub! We were made very welcome by the very friendly management and the food was excellent :text-+1:

The fords I mentioned above were all open BTW and have been recently repaired. We did the Grosmont fords you mentioned, which are in a spectacular gorge

So many great lanes. It's good they've been out repairing some tbh. Glad you enjoyed it mate. On a good traffic day I can be at Rudland rigg within 30 mins, link a few steady lanes together and over to Egton for lunch.
Regularly head to Whitby via a few lanes too.

Back