Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

problem selecting low 4

moggy1968

I have a bit of an issue with low range. when engaged, as soon as the transmission is under a bit of duress, I lose drive to the front axle.

Today I had a bit of a tinker and it would seem that the lever is being stopped by a bracket, the shape of an inverted V.

The question is, what is this bracket for? It appears to be a stop for the lever, but why would you need that?

The gearbox is a replacement and the 4wd low is in a different position to the original box, if this is the bracket from the original box then that may be why it doesn't work properly. The original box was a 5 speed with a push button for 4wd, this one is an all mechanical 5 speed.

Can I just take the angry grinder to the bracket to free up the lever a bit?
here is 4x2

FullSizeRender104.jpg

Then 4H

FullSizeRender103.jpg

and then 4L

FullSizeRender 102.jpg

On the original box, if I remember right, the 4wd was engaged by a switch, to then select 4L you went across to the left and then forwards. Now it's a all mechanical and for 2H the lever is left and forward, 4H is pull the lever back, then 4L is pull across to the right. I'm thinking then it should push forwards but it is being blocked by the bracket

The bracket is there so that you can't go into l4 when from h2. Is there an issue in the transfer that is stopping the l4 from going in correctly?

Cause to me in the last pic the lever just squeezes past the bracket, when it moves over to the right a little more from h4. They're a funny setup of linkages. But from h2 it needs to go h4 then into l4 like you say.

If I remember there's an adjustment on the l4 rod to make it longer or shorter.

Been a while since I've looked at that setup.

Hope this helps..:thumbup:

sorry moggy, just checked and I have only 2 positions either straight up or straight down so don't have the same set up

The bracket is there so that you can't go into l4 when from h2. Is there an issue in the transfer that is stopping the l4 from going in correctly?

Cause to me in the last pic the lever just squeezes past the bracket, when it moves over to the right a little more from h4. They're a funny setup of linkages. But from h2 it needs to go h4 then into l4 like you say.

If I remember there's an adjustment on the l4 rod to make it longer or shorter.

Been a while since I've looked at that setup.

Hope this helps..:thumbup:

It goes past all the way to the right, but I was thinking that then it should move forwards to engage. It feels like L4 isn't properly engaged because i have drive to the front axle until the drive is under duress, then it slipps with a horrendous clicking noise through the transfer lever

Back