Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Problems come in threes.

Did you see any actual differences with the AMC head and Toyota Head, I take it they are spot on Identical? I would have taken the time to block the EGR off whilst having the head out, did you by any chance?

Did you see any actual differences with the AMC head and Toyota Head, I take it they are spot on Identical? I would have taken the time to block the EGR off whilst having the head out, did you by any chance?

No practical differences. The AMC head is a nicely finished casting. There isn't an EGR valve on this motor.

Roger

I find it a bit odd that they are supplied on an exchange system, what are they doing with the cracked heads, repairing them? :think:

Roger there should also be 4 little crush washers that fit in the injector seats between the injector nozzle and the seat too.

I find it a bit odd that they are supplied on an exchange system, what are they doing with the cracked heads, repairing them? :think:

The head is a new AMC casting. The valves and cam also appear brand new. If you do not return the old head---the cost of return is covered in the original quote----you may invalidate the warranty.

I, also, can't see the value of the old head.

Roger

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Roger there should also be 4 little crush washers that fit in the injector seats between the injector nozzle and the seat too.

The kit is supposed to be all inclusive. As you need to remove the injectors and re-fit to the new head and the crush washers are one use only, you would imagine that they would be included in the kit.

Guess what?

I have fitted the injector seats and tomorrow I hope to source the washers locally.

I will speak to Roughtrax tomorrow.

Roger

Roughtrax do sell the washers, in fact as far as I could find a few months ago see they are the only place other than Mr T that does supply them.

Roughtrax do sell the washers, in fact as far as I could find a few months ago see they are the only place other than Mr T that does supply them.

What annoys me is this concept that Toyota make them. "Bullshit". Do Toyota make the injector pumps, NO---do they make the injectors, NO. When I had the injectors rebuilt the company supplied the washers and tomorrow I will check out the diesel engineers in Redditch. £2 each for washers is OTT.

Roger

Washers and seats in place.

Still blowing gas into overflow bottle.

Appears problems now come in fours.

Inflation maybe?

Sudden thought.

Turbo is water cooled.

Rigged up a boost gauge.

Not getting max. boost.

Will isolate turbo water pipes and see if bubbles stop.

Roger

ANy news mate???
I have the same problem on my 80 series.

Lack of boost was problem with hose from manifold to gauge. I now get 0.75 bar.

Rad removed and checked. That's ok.

Pump removed and checked. Looks brand new (it isn't) so that went back on.

New rad cap and thermostat.

Checked for exhaust gases in coolant. No sign.

Clamped of turbo water pipes. No change.

Took it for a run last night. Ran perfectly.

This morning water level in overflow tank normal !!!!!!

I will monitor the situation.

Roger

Still have the problem.

Blanked off the two hoses that supply coolant to the turbo.

After a couple of miles and having stood all night, water level normal. Previously level would be near the top of the overflow tank. Will give it a short run today. Can't go far as turbo has no water flow to cool it. Will keep turbo boost low.

If it is a cracked turbo housing pumping air into the coolant system, that will explain why the bubbles are not from exhaust. Test with Automotive Coolant Services system proved negative.

So the next question is----

Who is the best supplier for re-con turbo's?

Roger

Roger

I bought a replacement CT20 turbo for my old 2.4 LJ78, it was from a company on ebay called maxspeedingrods

Mine was fine, and I know at least one other person who also bought same.

Not sure which model turbo you have, but worth a look.

Cheers

Pete

Cheers Pete. I am working on an elimination system. I need to pressurise the water chamber in the turbo to see if it is leaking compressed air into the cooling system.

Roger

Spoke to a company in Northampton that supplies kits that check for CO2 in the coolant, a sure sign of head gasket failure. I bought the kit and did the check. No CO2. The same company also queried the use of a new but non Toyota rad. cap. Seems that the quality of these is iffy. A check on the new cap showed worrying compression marks on the rubber seals, so thinking that the cap may not be holding at the prescribed 0.9 bar, I added a further seal to boost the pressure. So far two days with normal water level in overflow tank.

I have checked out a price for a new Toyota cap and if the level remains OK for Easter, I will get one.

All of this of course begs the question, "Was a new head required" but as the old one was cracked between two valves and three of the pre-combustion chambers were also, very severely, cracked, I would say yes.

Over the last few months, the radiator has blown out "excess" coolant until the level was about 20mm below the filler neck. This was probably a prelude to the ultimate failure of the first, also non genuine cap. The failure of the second cap---same make as the other cap---was just an unfortunate coincidence.

Roger

I have a used but very good condition Turbo if you want one. Pm me if interested Roger.

Cheers Beau. At the moment mine appears to be OK but if I do need one, I will be in touch.

Roger

I made that mistake a few times buying cheap rad caps, the spring tension and measurements have to be so precise for the cap to function properly especially on a Toyota rad..
Well worth the £15 from Toyota. I believe other marques have the same issue.

Last edited:
Back