Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Project 80: Codename Grey Ghost

Well, it's definitely taller. Man I need those side steps now. It's quite a climb.

Been for a tootle, no rattles, clunk or creaks. Nothing binding. Feels a bit top of the springs at the minute because it's empty. Steering wheels 90 degs out now but that's easy to remedy. Got the panhards just about right. They are a pain to do on your own. Well the back one wasn't being fully adjustable on the vehicle. That was so cool.

Nice shiny sway bars on, new bushes and links too. Steering certainly isn't light, it's actually very slightly heavy, only slightly. But the new damper is mahoohsive. It's like a rear shocker!

Might fuel up to get some weight on the springs then take it up to the unit where I can remove the rear bumper and get it off for blasting and coating. It can stay up there in the dry over Christmas

P1010701.JPG

Been over the speed bumps. It's certainly cured the bottoming out.

:thumbup:
Looking good Chris.
The little bit of extra angle from the castor plates and the 'mahoosive' steering damper will put a bit of extra weight in the steering. Make sure you get a wheel alignment now to correct the toe as it will be out.
How did you find the track rod, is it clearing the radius arms ok?
Glad it has all come together well. Just need some non-driveway shots now....... No pressure.....

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
The rod clears the arms - just. Might need a trim once it's all settled
Will do geometry obviously
Have to say the ph rods needed barely anything at all
A great deal of effort for not much much
The outer DS side plate needed fettling to account for the weld around the diff bracket
Still got brake lines and other control arm bushes to do

Last edited:
Looks very nice Chris, worth all the hard work. My experience of EFS suspension is that it certainly provides a lot of lift, even on big heavy trucks (as discussed), you should be pleased with the ride when your fully loaded. I can't really comment on the unlanden ride quality as our truck was always loaded, the only variance being whether the water and fuel tanks were full of empty. The EFS certainly was composed, rode well on the tarmac and was not phased by hard off road work in high temperatures.

You deserve a whiskey after that lot!

Thanks chaps. Water tank filled, just off to fill up with my 7p / litre voucher. Both tanks filled will add quite a bit. Not got the rear wheel carrier on at the second though so I won't get quite the full effect.

Looks great chris you must be well chuffed. Top service from our aussy friends.
Stu

Fantastic service from 12,000 miles away. Shame you don't always get that from someone in the UK. Great service and product but the shipping does take a lot of the benefit out of it. Still, reliable service at effectively the same price as here in the UK is good enough for me and a business that replies to emails by return! Hard to believe they're foreigners really.

Filled up both tanks. It feels slightly different now, slightly more springy. But despite the loading, the height hasn't dropped at all. Hooray.

Here's some more eye candy before people start crying in their 4XXXX.

Steer damp.JPG
Rear full shot.JPG
Rear drop.JPG
Rear ARB bush.JPG
Front setup.JPG
CC plate.JPG

Is it time to post on the "before and after" thread yet ?

Yeah, gradually replacing all the scruffy bits.

Decent weather again today so I thought I'd get a bit more done. Decided to drop the rear prop first. I could see the phasing was out just by looking. Dunno how that came about but it was an opportunity to give it a good service, re time it and check the input / output flange angles.

UJ rear.JPG

Gave that a right good fettle. Warmed up through a bit with the heat gun to encourage out all the old grease. Gave it a good pump through until only new grease came out. Seemed to be in goo order right through. Both ends and the slip joint. All reassembled and re installed no drama.

After that it didn't go quite so well. I figured I'd change the rear control arm bushes seeing as I had the Superpro ones to hand. Got the arms of in minutes. I swapped them for the thicker version last year so the came off easily. I got the first arm on the press and half way through pushing that out the seals went in the power pack. I messed around with that for an hour trying to get it pressurising again but noop. Dead duck. So then I had an idea and used the 12t bottle jack from the pipe bender which seemed to be working ok

Lash up.JPG

Until the press tool I'd been using disintegrated. So that was another half an hour on the lathe making a new one out of something stronger. The old bushes were out in minutes. Then I started to push the new bushes in. Well they slipped and slid all over the place, pinged off the workshop walls and generally had me swearing. All done and back on the car. Starting to go dark by now and I was getting tired. I tightened up the driver's side with the rattle gun and thought blimey, that's pulled in a long way. Back into the garage to tidy up when what do I see on the bench? Two bloody tubes out of the middle of one of the set of bushes. So that all have to come off again and be adjusted and refitted. So all in all, only got two jobs done.

Worth doing though. I found the prop bolts, buts and washers had been put back on in the wrong order by the garage who did my clutch and had an opportunity to have a good look around under there. Still need to do the upper control arms and the front prop but that's for another day.

Some days just don't go right do they...:icon-rolleyes:

Anyway, it's all looking good Chris, can't wait to see the truck!

Should be pretty smooth by August Clive. I'll have had the summer to work on it and get the finishing touches done, steps made etc and that gearbox swapped out. Still mulling over a new wheel and tyre combo though.

Back