Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Project 80: Codename Grey Ghost

Well here it is. Leapt out of bed early doors and waited for it to get light enough. Measured up, drilled the necessary holes and looked at the tent. It's very heavy. But with help from the current wife, and some padding, we slip the bugger up there. Bolted in easy enough.

It's very nicely made and I don't think it's ever going to let the weather in!

OK it's a bit snug inside. I can sleep at full stretch but it's quite low headroom. Going to be tricky putting my socks on. Here's some shots.

P1010732.JPG

Nice suck / blow solar battery fan. And a nice internal LED light.

P1010733.JPG

P1010734.JPG

P1010735.JPG
P1010736.JPG
P1010737.JPG
P1010738.JPG
P1010740.JPG

Bloody hard work closing it though. Jeez, not sure it\'s faster than my fold out one! I'll get that faster though, I am sure.

Looks good CJ. Surprised that it has low headroom... you're not trying to stand up inside are you?

I thought they were quick open and quick close tents, that's part of the attraction. Also I don't see any rain covers over the entrances, are there any or do you get wet as soon as you stick your head out?

Very nice Chris, when I win the lotto I dream of buying a JB roof tent.

What size did you go with out of interest?

I went for the Explorer Evo. Fits two inside with ease.

Very fast to set up for sure, but getting it down again, well good job I am a big chap. The struts are very strong and as I don't have any side steps yet, access is a little tricky. I need to tighten the internal bungees too I think to pull the sides in.

There's no porch or anything Lazz, there isn't on any of these tents. But as I shall never be going anywhere ever again where it's raining then it won't be an issue. They have a sort of rain deflector / drip thing so it doesn't come in the door. The material is very tough. it's not like tent material. I have agonized over what sort of tent to have and I have a dozen now from folding top tents, Oz tents, back packers, bell tents and now a pop top. There is no perfect solution, only the right tent at the right time. This tent is not for camping in. It's a sleeping pod. Pull over, pop up, get in, sleep, get up, pack away and go. When I get my new rack, I should be able to lash the Oz RV 4 to the side. I liked the fold out tent a lot and I found it pretty quick to pack away really. But it was a massive airbrake on the roof and just didn't stay dry all the time. OK it was a cheaper model and some of the top makes are better but such a price. A lot to have go mouldy. I also considered bedding and room in the truck. I can get the lot up there and it can stay up there. Plus it has the external storage area too. Plus it's cheaper than a Maggi.

I also liked the fact that it had three doors. I can't use one side because of the Foxwing really. And I plan to put a ladder up the back so I can go in that way too. It has good ventilation with heavy duty zips and fly screens. Looking forward to a night in it. With the new unit, I have the head room to be able to pop it up inside and let it air if I need to. But the blurb does say that it's rot proof etc and can be put away wet.

:drool: Nightmare :drool:

Ever since I got my truck, I've wanted an RTT, looked at most on the market but only inter web blurb and photos. Over the years of just window shopping I made up my mind that when I do (not if) it will be a JB...

want, want, want.. I'm not one to covet another man's belongings, but...

:shifty:

New transfer box in tomorrow Thank you Karl, Thank you Karl, Thank you Karl, Thank you Karl

New LED spots too hopefully. Not just some El Cheapo LED spots. These are like HiD spots. I bought them instead of a light bar.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Been increasingly worried about the noises coming out of my transfer box especially since I put the new 100 series box in. So today I dropped the old one and slotted in one from Karl. It's off an auto petrol and in fine fettle. It's also got the viscous coupling that my GS was built without.

Different? Holy crap, what a transformation. Yes, it's not making some of the hideous noises that it was and on the flat it cruises lovely. But in the bends, it's like day and night. I can't believe it. Steering is tighter and more positive, all vagueness has gone and it feel so positive. Before it felt more rear wheel drive and now it's definitely more all wheel drive. That VC is magic. Cannot contemplate why Mr T made an 80 without that in the middle. Very happy bunny now. Still some bits to sort but getting closer to that finished vehicle.

Got some new LED spots. Err, bright. yes, that's how I'd describe those. Bright. Not sure I like them popping up like frog's eyes. So they may replace the KC's completely. I shall have to see.

IMG_0993.JPG

IMG_0992.JPG

IMG_0991.JPG

Nice CJ, very nice ... I didn't get where I am today by not knowing nice when I see it !!!

What is and where did you get that cover on your bonnet?

Cover? Errm, bonnet?

Not sure what you mean Mussy :whistle:

Looks like a nice product from Rock N Road 4x4 on the bonnet, the Vision X light cannons are a nice upgrade

Ha ha, they were only about 2 feet from you on Sunday Tommy. Had to twist his arm to sell it, but hey, if you come to a show and don't want to make money, what the hell you doing there?

LCs are very nicely made. 25 watt LED. Ridiculously bright. I wanted the Euro clip on lenses but at £40, blow me.

Don't get me wrong, I like the look of the cover, but what real uses does it serve? Will you keep it on permanently or just when off roading?

Well firstly it serves no purpose at all when off roading as I DON'T OFF ROAD THIS VEHICLE. :eusa-naughty:

I am finding all sorts of uses actually. Fantastic for putting tools on. They don't slide off. They don't scratch the bonnet. It covers the peeling lacquer so I don't have to have the bonnet resprayed. It also stops glare off the bonnet either from the sun or when I fit my light bar. Handy fro grabbing onto when moving round the vehicle to get to the winch when it's snowy / icy. I can also attach stuff to it. Currently it has a rope and my shovel on there. It also has a rubber backing which is sound absorbing and helps cut engine noise.

Othet than that. can't think of any uses at all.

I know, it's a bit like Marmite this one. Just couldn't rersist it. They don't normally make them like this. It's a show piece. Typically it's just a net, or a few clips. They threw everything at this one just for demonstrating. It's good for storing a rope actually. You can weave it in the straps so that it just pulls out when you tug one end.

Looking very cool indeed Chris - very cool. :icon-cool:

TBH I wondered what that bonnet adornment was for too :think:

My initial thought was you'd gone all Fifty Shades of Grey :icon-wink:

I'd post a pic of it loaded up with stuff but it's under an inch and a half of snow now. Started at 12.00 got pretty much blizzard conditions by three. Parked it back in the unit til next weekend. Hope it's all melted by then. Snow and mud together. Not a good combo

Back