Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Quick(?) 75 series wheel question

johnnystrom

Hi all. Apologies for another wheel/rim question, but I haven't been able to find the answer to mine yet. I have a 1990 HZJ75 pick up, which is currently running on 15" x 7" rims with 33/12.50 R15 mud tyres. This is not an ideal set up! I can't load a photo of it here at the moment for some reason, but you can see it on my other thread (HZJ75 Overland Build).

I believe the OEM rim for this truck was a 15 x 7 with 13mm negative offset. My current rims have about a 20mm negative offset, so may not be the originals (although I thought they were).

Anyway, I've been considering switching to 16 x 8 inch rims to give me a greater selection of tyres for my overland trip (most likely to be 285/75 16s). The only 16 x 8 steel rims that I can find in the UK have a zero offset (as is standard for eg the 80 series I think).

So my question is, does anyone know whether a 16 x 8 rim with zero offset fitted with a 285/75 16 (which roughly equates to 33/11.2 R16) will fit without modification?? There's plenty of room around the wheel arches at the moment, but I'm not sure about clearance around the calipers etc.

Any info would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Johnny,

Theres a few places in the UK that sell 16" x 8 rims with more off set than 0.

I got mine from silverline and went for -32mm off set but they do different ones. :thumbup:

http://www.silverlinewheels-tyres.com/4x4/wheels/steel/1/1

I cant see the exact size your after on the website, so probably best to call them. I've always been very impressed with the service from them.

My other set of wheels came from JCS, so they might be worth a try aswell.

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/JCS-4x4-Wheels-and-Tyres?_rdc=1

if you try and fit wheels with 0 off set on a vehicle that left the factory with -13mm off set wheels, you will probably find they hit the brake callipers.:icon-smile:

Last edited:
Thanks Ben. I spoke to Silverline and JCS, and they both recommended the same thing ie 16 x 8 inch rims with a negative 32mm offset. They don't have rims with a smaller offset (other than zero). I mentioned that I don't want to over strain the bearings, but they didn't think it would make any significant difference. The guy at JCS said he's been running -32 offset with 33 12.50s on his 70 series for 10 years with no bearing problems.

Does anyone else have any other view on a - 32mm offset?

Ben, what tyres are you running on yours? I'm thinking either the Cooper STT 285/75 16 or the BFG KM2 in the 255/85 16. Both same radius, but obviously the Coopers are over an inch wider. I've read plenty about the general pros and cons of skinny v wide, so I'm thinking more about fit and overall wear and tear rather than anything else.
Thanks

I run 2 sets of wheels and tyres. :icon-cool:

37" x 10.5 Fediman Scirocco on 16 x 8J wheels with a -32mm off set. Their my stupidly big aggressive off road tyres.

P1000166.jpg

35" x 12.5 Marshal Venture on 15 x 10J wheels with -30mm off set. Their a bit more road friendly and look awesome on the truck because their so wide. :icon-biggrin:

PICT0124.jpg

Personally I think youd be fine with -32mm off set wheels. Your is the heavy duty 70 so has the bigger stronger axles, and your not getting stupidly large tyres your keeping things sensible. :think:

From what I've heard and read both the BFG's and cooper's are excellent tyres. :clap:

Cheers Ben. Yours looks good! Im planning to get the rims and KM2 255/85s fitted at Silverline this saturday. I decided on the thinner KM2s as they're lighter and will be better on road, and don't lose out much off road either. I'll post some pics when they're on. Thanks for the advice.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Cheers Ben. Yours looks good! Im planning to get the rims and KM2 255/85s fitted at Silverline this saturday. I decided on the thinner KM2s as they're lighter and will be better on road, and don't lose out much off road either. I'll post some pics when they're on. Thanks for the advice.

This is the tyre size and make I chose with the Blindo alloys from Silverline, I will post a photo for you in the morning so you can gauge the effect.

I believe the OEM rim for this truck was a 15 x 7 with 13mm negative offset. My current rims have about a 20mm negative offset, so may not be the originals (although I thought they were).

Anyway, I've been considering switching to 16 x 8 inch rims to give me a greater selection of tyres for my overland trip (most likely to be 285/75 16s). The only 16 x 8 steel rims that I can find in the UK have a zero offset (as is standard for eg the 80 series I think).
!

OEMs were 16x6 in most countries,but some of the mid and short wheelbase had 15 in rims

If you can find a 60 series,you can use the rims off one of them if they are 16 in . Hilux 16 in rims are have about 10mm less offset but are usable Im told.

I think the 70 series offset is 30mm

EDIT I see you have found some 16x8 with 32mm offset.They will do just fine. I have 16x7 ROH heavy duty rims with the same offset.

Last edited:
Thanks Rosco. Yes, I'm happy with the new 16x8s. I think they look just right, and the BFG KM2s are impressive too.

Yes ,the KM2 are a pretty decent tyre,although Im running Bridgstone D694 LT at the the moment and Im happy with them as they seem to handle the sand better than anything else I have tried.

Back