Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Quick response needed pls

Seems pretty good, what have you planned to bolt it all too?

A very good point and seen as i am in no rush it will be a RR of some sort prob African outback etc...

IMHO the best option for a rack for that lot would be a Rhino rack, I think BOAB are they people for that, they can do custom bar widths, I would have thought something about 1400mm would be ideal
Would make a very nice set up, pretty much what Jon uses, I think he would be the man on the costs

Thanks Julian i was hoping he may be on as he is the man who has both and as you say would be the best to comment but maybe later. I have till the morning to get back to the seller.

If it's all as good as advertised and suits your needs that's a pretty good price. Jon is prolly best placed to comment, but I'd say the full AO rack will be OTT as that style of tent won't require it - 3 rhino rack bars will work too, or similar. Not much room left on the roof after the tent is mounted. Good luck!

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Seems a pretty good price to me and according to the advert includes Rhino bars so you'd just need to add the 100 series foot kit. As the others have mentioned, not much point buying a rack to put under this type of tent IMO unless you already have the rack or have another use for it, bound to weigh more than just bars and the tent doesn't need that kind of support. The bars are usually supplied as 1500mm lengths that you cut to the size you need, it's just a bit of aluminium channel. If you google Rhino rack you should be able to come up with a price guide for the 100 series leg kit. My stuff came from BOAB so I tend to point people in that direction but there are other suppliers out there ;)

Jon many thanks for the comments. I will ask about the roof rack width and check with rino rack as to the cost of the feet for the 100 series.

I just wated to ask if your tent is a small and if you think with 2 adults it would be comfortable as yours does look bigger :lol:. Would i be able to get the small inside the car to bring it back or would i need to get the feet first to put it on the roof?

The one I have now that is black is a small and the same size as that one on ebay, the one I had before that was the same colouring as the one on eBay was a medium. They're about 1200mm wide inside so put some markers out on your floor and try it for size but it should be perfect for 2. A medium would give you a bit more room (another 150mm) but then it's that bit wider on the rack so your fox wing sits out a bit more, not a problem for most overlanding I expect and I got round France last year with the medium but one track in Spain this year would probably have needed a branch chopping off to get past. How tall are you? Depending on the answer Ian can tell you what internal length is like, fine for me (5' 11") but Ian had to sleep diagonaly to avoid the raising mechanism in the ends. The Air Top model like I have now use hydraulic struts mounted at the sides instead so you get the full length, about 2050mm. I can't see it fitting in your boot (2100mm x 1300mm) but you can use normal roof bars on the OEM rails. The Foxwing is 2400mm IIRC so you would have to fold your seats down and have it on the centre arm rest up front I think, measure it to be sure.

Right I have secured the awning at £325 which is a good buy, I just need to work on the rooftop tent.

Thanks again for the info Jon I am 6.2 in height and so think the best is to get in it and lie down to test it out and then make a decision.

Well done Warren !
Sounds like you bagged a bargain.

Graham

You may find it a bit short then Warren but as you say, have a lie in it and see.

warrenpfo said:
Right I have secured the awning at £325 which is a good buy, I just need to work on the rooftop tent.
Thanks again for the info Jon I am 6.2 in height and so think the best is to get in it and lie down to test it out and then make a decision.
The awning sounds like a good bargain Warren, :thumbup: If I'd spotted it before you I would have been tempted :sick:
The tent I've just sold was an medium Airlander, the wind up type, like your one on eBay, and I'm 6' 2" and my head and feet would *just* about touch each end at full stretch. I used it for three trips to Croatia and one to Morocco plus various UK week-ends and it was fine.
The small Airtop I now have as Jon said, has no scissor mechanism at the ends to restrict internal length so I'll have even more room, and as I'm always travelling on my own (my wife says she's more 4* than 4x4 :lol: ) the medium was bigger than I needed, and I think the black colour suits the red Cruiser better :cool:

One last question as I am getting a little confused. I cant seem to find the Safari on the Autohome website and was wondering if that is because it is old? Secondly how many types of "up actions" are there as I though there was the wind up which I have been advised against and then the gas struts which I thought had the scissor action inside to keep it up and the struts to assist in getting it up if that makes sense.

From reading it seems there may be 3 types?

warrenpfo said:
One last question as I am getting a little confused. I cant seem to find the Safari on the Autohome website and was wondering if that is because it is old? Secondly how many types of "up actions" are there as I though there was the wind up which I have been advised against and then the gas struts which I thought had the scissor action inside to keep it up and the struts to assist in getting it up if that makes sense.
From reading it seems there may be 3 types?
As far as I know the Safari is the same as the others as regards specs I think it's just a different colour scheme, also as far as I know there are only two mechanisms for raising the tent, wind up and hydraulic. The hydraulic has only the rams which are like a leg wth a 'knee' in the middle that folds when lowered, if that makes sense, but no scissors, why were you advised against the wind up? I never had any problems with it.

I was advised against the wind up as was told if you loose the handle you are stuck gettig it up and the fact its easier with the gas struts.

the one i am looking at has gas struts from what I can tell and is not a wind up but may be wrong.

AFAIK the wind up model is called a Maggiolina and the pop up is a Maggiolina Air top. Names like Safari refer to the colour and variant, so that's sandy coloured cloth with the standard type shell. There are shell variations to allow more storage space inside, carrying stuff on top etc. I think you can download a catalogue on-line that will make all that more obvious?

The pictures on ebay seem to show a wind up Maggiolina - the end vents are triangular vs arched, doors have vent flaps vs not present and the AIR TOP has it in big letters you probably couldn't miss :lol:

warrenpfo said:
I was advised against the wind up as was told if you loose the handle you are stuck gettig it up and the fact its easier with the gas struts.
the one i am looking at has gas struts from what I can tell and is not a wind up but may be wrong.
That's true, if you lose the handle you are bu**ered, I had a spare that had been made by a Moroccan blacksmith who couldn't speak a word of English, but made this Heath Robinson gadget that worked well, it given to me by the person I bought the tent from who 'lost' the original one, but I attached a camel tassel to my handle that would waft about in the wind and I could see it in my rear view mirror if I drove away and forgot to take it out.
One advantage of the wind up is that anything you put inside the tent is totally secure when it's wound down because you can't raise it without the handle, so if you leave the truck parked up any valuables are safe from the light fingered gentry.
Looking at the pictures on the eBay page, in the first picture you can just make out at the very rear end of the base of the tent the hole where the handle fits so I'm sure that is a wind up tent

Did you get the tent Warren? I see it's not available on eBay now.

Nope I held off on the tent as he had an offer of £950 which is way more than I would have offered or wanted to get it for. I did pick up the Foxwing though and opened it out today on the lawn only to be slightly disappointed at the size it is. Maybe it’s because it’s on the lawn and not on the car but I thought it would be larger. Will comment once I have mounted it to the car but first off I need to get a RR or bars and seen as it came with the mounting brackets for rhino rack bars it makes sense to go that way but long term I want a RR so am on the look out for my next bargain.

I did notice that the end pivot was starting to oxidise to I stripped it out wire brush and some ptfe spray and its as good as new.

It was a long drive 6hours return trip but well worth it at the price I paid.

Back