Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Range Rover overheating problem

Sounds like a very lucky son and mum the outcome could have so much worse think TATA JLR are going to have too do some very serious thinking about honouring warranty issues from now on

It's not the first and won't be the last , i seen one burning in a service station car park maybe 3 years ago and later googled it wondering if it made the news . I found several others had done the same instead .

They have to get to the bottom of it somehow though, especially if there's been a few. I remember the Vahxuall Zafira heater issues, they got there in the end! Hopefully LR have got some ideas whats going on; didn't sound like they had a great attitude from that article, but they probably just dont want the bad PR.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Scary how fast they go up and once its got a proper hold, as you say, Shane, there's often bugger all left at the end. A Landrover 110 Puma went up in flames at the end of our road, it was absolutely disintegrated...

I remember a landrover going on fire in a multi storey carpark in Liverpool and it took the whole car park out and every car in it.

All those Computers and Control units, Coupled with Crap quality components and wiring, And probably second rate quality workmanship...... Somethings gonna go Up, Those components get Damn Hot..... If its not a Fuel leak, Or heat friction from dodgy Bearings, It can only be Wires melting and things going Bang, You cant even blame 'yer' Fag end anymore, .....

In the dim and distant past my lot hired a Volvo FL10 tractor unit for me to run the night trunk with, Edit, nope it was an F10 that's put a few more years on me.
Driving across our yard all of a sudden the cab filled with choking fumes, i stopped immediately and got out saw a wire which was glowing red so hit the thing snapping it which stopped the problem, however on closer inspection where that wire ran through the cab wiring loom it had started to melt the loom insulation, lots of it. On even closer inspection i found that some half wit had jerry wired a 12 volt radio in from one battery only, where that errant wire entered the cab via a grommet our hero had fed the wire outside grommet, 'tween grommet and steel cab not through it.

Made me think though if that had happened at 60mph on the motorway by the time you'd stopped the vehicle you could well be overcome by fumes.

Nasty how that RR's gone up, taken the womans kichen out too, you'd try and get it away from the house if it was going up but thats easy to say from the comfort of my chair here.

Last edited:
What was the name of the place that all the football actors live reckon the fire brigade will be on a 25hr standby and the town now needs a 25hr fireworks display to go with would be a lot like Lewes on November 5th but drowning their sorrows in champagne instead of Stella and cider
Bet their seven weeks out of warranty get sorted

I know of a fair few gt86s that have caught fire due to poor workmanship when reinstalling injectors. You end up with fuel splashed all over the engine bay with predictable results.

I wonder if something similar is happening here.

She was interviewed today on Radio 2......not the brightest of people.... she could smell smoke yet drove home and parked outside her front door.... cause the car didn't tell her it was alight ...it had an orange warning light on not a red one so was fine to drive although it was in limp home.

She's going for the full compo claim.... her son's traumatised according to her....I think JLR have seen through her....

JLR are pretty crap at sorting issues .... we had a white new shaped one parked just up the road from the local swanky JLR dealer in Edenbridge for a good few months with "Don't buy one of these.... dangerous and tried to kill me " written in beg red letters on it's side . ...... God only knows what the back story to that was....

There is a major steering column/rack fault JLR are currently not dealing with either

Ha... just remembered in the dim and distant past I had a VW Polo that used to regularly set itself on fire - the crank breather was semi-blocked, causing oil to syphon into the air filter, which in turn had its opening over the exhaust manifold, so you'd stop quick and the oil would splash on the manifold and go on fire. Was like that for a month or so before I got around to changing the breather - I got used to looking out for flames whenever I stopped the car. It was a running joke with my mates at the time... things you do when you're young and stupid (as opposed to old and stupid, that is).

Wow this came right on time, I sent this immediately to my friend who is considering RR. Atleast one person will be saved from these fatal attractions.

No matter how many issues Landcruisers have (expensive to buy, expensive repairs when needed, lack of mechanics, few cars for good mechanics to learn) these are bullet proof cars. I drove home 100 miles with failed suspension with car sitting low like a saloon but nothing happened to it. Its back up again after its fixed.

She's going for the full compo claim....

Good

her son's traumatised according to her....

He probably is

I think JLR have seen through her....

Given the publicity this has had, I think they will have to do something.

At the end of the day, she had a 60K car, always did the 'right' thing getting it serviced at the dealer etc, then it goes on fire. Hardly her fault really.

Appreciate the point that she drove it when it was on fire, but not all people are rational in a crisis and I don't hold that against her

I believe you can't be done for say a failed headlight bulb so long as you have a spare in the car because the law recognizes not everyone has the skills to change a bulb .

Serviced and maintained by LR and an "independent" (I assume) MOT station declared the car safe recently .

No ifs or buts in my mind LR should pay .and if you google burnt Rangerover its only a matter of time before they are hit with a class action lawsuit .

Also a car that hasn't been crashed showing an orange warning (or even a red warning really) shouldn't burst into flames. People expect things to break down and stop working not catch fire.

Back