Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Reaplcement 80 radiator options

Ale

Hmm. It seems my radiator is on its last legs and has a drip of coolant across its bottom edge, I guess where the radiator core meets the outside of the housing as I can't see any drips on the radiator itself. I don't know if its related to my recent water pump replacement, but it obviously can't keep up. Coolant loss isn't much at all, but my guess it will go pop eventually. So better to replace sooner than later.

Just after some suggestion of replacement parts. So far I've had a quote from Simon @ Toyota, and Allisport. Love the look of the Allisport one, but is mega ££. Toyota seems reasonable by comparison.

Milners only do the Manual one on their site, so would need a separate ATF cooler.

I'm hoping also it will give me peace of mind once replaced, as concerned about those Coolant / ATF horror stories.

Would appreciate any opinions. Its a 1994 HDJ 80, 4.2td Auto.

Cheers

Al

I told you you should of had mine ali, had a new rad in & still running trouble free. lol

I bought mine off Ebay from a seller called UAB auto for £110 delivered (new)- fitted fine, looks good, made in Scotland, been off-road about 20 times and going fine - fingers crossed.

Just had a quick browse through his listings none on at the moment, give Kris a call on 020 8514 8007

ok thanks. I'll look them up and see what they can offer. In two minds whether to go aftermarket to save some money for now - and maybe split out the ATF cooler to save things from getting messy.

Cheers

Al

Unstable got myself a new rad for my 80 image.jpg

Paid£ 175.50 inc vat and delivered

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    237.3 KB · Views: 329
Last edited:
You could get one from Alisport which should be better quality and cool better than OEM.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Anybody know what the milners rads are like please?

No idea about the milners one, but cooling is one of those things I regard as critical for the longevity of an infernal combustion engine, hence why I replaced my failing oem radiator with a bespoke one from allisport, it's a very nice rad I must say.

I have found this one on fleabay, it might be suitable.

I tried Alisport today and was not to.happy with the machine message that had been left. Working through the back log and leave a.message if you would like a quote? I did see those on eblag but was concerned about the quality?

Radiator options

Hmm. It seems my radiator is on its last legs and has a drip of coolant across its bottom edge, I guess where the radiator core meets the outside of the housing as I can't see any drips on the radiator itself. I don't know if its related to my recent water pump replacement, but it obviously can't keep up. Coolant loss isn't much at all, but my guess it will go pop eventually. So better to replace sooner than later.

Just after some suggestion of replacement parts. So far I've had a quote from Simon @ Toyota, and Allisport. Love the look of the Allisport one, but is mega ££. Toyota seems reasonable by comparison.

Milners only do the Manual one on their site, so would need a separate ATF cooler.

I'm hoping also it will give me peace of mind once replaced, as concerned about those Coolant / ATF horror stories.

Would appreciate any opinions. Its a 1994 HDJ 80, 4.2td Auto.

Cheers

Al

Get your original Toyota one recored by a radiator firm, bit more expensive, but you do get to keep your original transmission cooler which have zero issues. If you do have non genuine ensure that you fit a separate transmission cooler to minimise risk of antifreeze going into the gearbox. All of the aftermarket rads (even the fancy aluminium ones) have issues with gearbox cooler and there is a big risk of transmission failure. I think the gearbox cooler in the aftermarket rads is undersized aswell leading to overheat issues.

Choices:

get your Toyota one recored
get a new Toyota one
get an aftermarket one either aluminium or normal and FIT A SEPARATE TRANSMISSION cooler rated to around 12-15000lb gross vehicle weight.

engine cooling is not so much the issue its the transmission which has issues with aftermarket rads

engine cooling is not so much the issue its the transmission which has issues with aftermarket rads

Only if you drive an auto, thank goodness mine is a manual.
And seeing as how I have a winch bumper with headlamp protection on the front of it and an intercooler in front of the rad to help in blocking the airflow not to mention the spot lamps, ... and the roof rack with tent, also doing a lot of long distance loaded with camping kit and when we go to Hungary it means running loaded with shopping/gifts both ways so the allisport rad is a good investment imo.

Stumog re allisport I used to use email and if you phone just after they open you usually get Andrew before he is in the workshop and I would be concerned about the quality of the fleabay rads especially considering that I dropped £600 on the allisport rad 7 years ago.

:)

Last edited:
Oem or better imo. Dont be tempted by cheap tosh. I was once and it lasted two years...

Anybody know what the milners rads are like please?

I've had a milner rad in my 90 series for the past 5 years and not a problem. I even had a little front end impact and whilst it did bend a few cores, it all held up nicely with no leaks. I do think the OEM offers better quality but for the price of the Milner one, I'd be happy if it last half as long as the OEM one.

Thanks for the responses I could find that on the rufftracks site shayne it was 400£ when I looked. They are close so I expect I will go for that one

Best 80 rad I bought was the one I got for Chris, had an original re cored with a 3 row matrix I think under £250. From Lincoln Radiators where I get the truck ones done.
Chris was quick to point out when I saw him how well it dealt with cooling during the Morocco trip.

Only if you drive an auto, thank goodness mine is a manual.
And seeing as how I have a winch bumper with headlamp protection on the front of it and an intercooler in front of the rad to help in blocking the airflow not to mention the spot lamps, ... and the roof rack with tent, also doing a lot of long distance loaded with camping kit and when we go to Hungary it means running loaded with shopping/gifts both ways so the allisport rad is a good investment imo.

Stumog re allisport I used to use email and if you phone just after they open you usually get Andrew before he is in the workshop and I would be concerned about the quality of the fleabay rads especially considering that I dropped £600 on the allisport rad 7 years ago.

:)

Yes I agree about the allisport if you can afford it, and lights etc do block air flow (so larger more efficient core required). Nice for you to be in a manual, but for those that do run autos, the cooler issue is very important and needs very important consideration when swapping radiators around to avoid expensive transmission damage.

Best 80 rad I bought was the one I got for Chris, had an original re cored with a 3 row matrix I think under £250. From Lincoln Radiators where I get the truck ones done.
Chris was quick to point out when I saw him how well it dealt with cooling during the Morocco trip.

Hello, I did similar to this, had very thick matrix and top and bottom tanks replaced with brass, been on for a while now and it's worth an enquiry if you have a reputable radiator firm close by, keeps the oil cooler in the right place etc etc,
best regards to all, Bill Westley

My original OEM rad burst a top tank at about 340k km, 17 yrs old.

Replaced it with OEM 4 yrs ago, €500 fitted, running sweet.

So I couldn't have the down time on the cruiser to get one recored so I went to rufftracks they are very close to me and outstanding customer service I will say. Fitted today I did underestimate how much you need to take off but did that and the cam belt plus top and bottom hose so a day which I have put off for a while.

Cheers for finding shayne it's a very nice quality product let's just hope it lasts.

Stu

Back