Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Rear Brake Upgrade

iceman

Country Flag
south_africa
Another question gents I've noticed there are two sizes of rear disc rotors (286mm & 335mm dia) is this like the fronts where you need to replace calipers and or other adaptions. I've got a 91 (import with disks) and intend replacing the calipers; rotors & pads so why not upgrade the disc size. One other thing I'm not sure how this upgarde might affect the handbrake - suggestions and advice appreciated.

I guess your car has 15 inch wheels, which might suggest the smaller diameter brake discs fit inside the wheel ok, it's probably worth checking out if the larger size discs will actually fit inside your wheels, however, if you already have 16inch wheels it's likely you can use the larger discs. The question is, do the larger discs offer such an improvement that it's worth the expense? But, if you are going to replace the whole lot, discs, calipers etc the choice will be yours if they fit ok. Please let us know how it goes. Best regards, Bill Westley

Hi Bill - yes I've got 16 inch rims on and will be replacing it all (calipers; rotors & pads). But I'm concerned about the overall diameter of the bigger rotors fitting over the 16s and also how it might affect the handbrake. I've been reading and it looks like torque plates (47722A L/H & 47721C) are needed to accommodate the larger rotors.

Now that everybody is back from Lincomb and the servers are up again - does anybody have some thoughts/comments?

i did do a reply but seems to have gone a drift.......
I am not sure if doing the rear is a worth while mod. The rear brakes on anything hardly make much difference as something like 80% is on the front anyway.
Also if you only upgrade the fronts you can still run 15" wheels so you have the best of both worlds( i have not tried it on mine yet)

if you want to do the rears from my understanding you keep your calipers but you need the backing plate that they mount to, the discs need changing and the gubbins inside need to be changed for the newer parts.

stu

I changed the front to 16" discs and kept the rear 15" discs. But I have not driven the land cruiser yet... :)
But on IH8MUD it is stated that upgrading the rear doesn't do all that much. Apparently upgrading the front to 16" discs is worth the effort!

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
The big brakes on the front has made a big difference timing but I have new grooved discs and new calipers.

Yeah I've done the front upgrade albeit not grooved - but my chap reckons the rears will not get through a MOT. So, I'm thinking about replacing the whole lot. Its then that you think why not upgrade? I suppose the real question is is the later model rear caliper the same size as the 91?

I wasn't aware that the rears had changed when the bigger discs were introduced on the front.

Not that it concerns me because my 1995 80 has drum brakes (only) on the rear (and they work rather well, may I add).

What confuses me is Stumog's comment (above) that "if you want to do the rears from my understanding you keep your calipers but you need the backing plate that they mount to, the discs need changing and the gubbins inside need to be changed for the newer parts".

I may be off track here, but I'd always presumed that the calipers bolted onto the flange that's part of the axle casing. Having drum brakes, I wouldn't know, but researching photos on the interweb, I've seen nothing that contradicts this. Yes, the stone guards bolt onto the same flange, but the flange does not look removable, it appears to be part of the axle casing (sorry if I'm repeating myself).

I have considered upgrading my rear drums to discs, but not at the expense of changing the axle casing, can anyone confirm if Stu is correct please?

stu

I personally wouldnt bother, if they were drums i would.

As said the rears do about 30% of braking. Spend the time and money on something with more bang for your buck.

They would have to be pretty bad not to get through the mot.

Last edited:
I personally wouldnt bother, if they were drums i would. As said the rears do about 30% of braking.

A bit of a glib statement there CG, why change something that works? especially if I'm right about the axle change.

At each ITP (MOT equivalent) the rears almost lock-up on the rollers, so I'm fairly sure I'm getting my 30% worth... and the handbrake works, which is more than can be said for many 80s with disc rears.... :think: JMO.

Sorry clive, its not a off hand statement. Ive never really got on with drum brakes purely because ive cut my teeth on disc brakes and find drums a faff to adjust and replace. More what im familiar with rather than a judgement on the functionality of one or the other..

[

I didn't really believe the calipers would be the same but a fair few people have said you can reuse your old calipers on the rear conversation. I have not done it my self so not 100%

QUOTE=clivehorridge;424883]I wasn't aware that the

rears had changed when the bigger discs were introduced on the front.

Not that it concerns me because my 1995 80 has drum brakes (only) on the rear (and they work rather well, may I add).

What confuses me is Stumog's comment (above) that "if you want to do the rears from my understanding you keep your calipers but you need the backing plate that they mount to, the discs need changing and the gubbins inside need to be changed for the newer parts".

I may be off track here, but I'd always presumed that the calipers bolted onto the flange that's part of the axle casing. Having drum brakes, I wouldn't know, but researching photos on the interweb, I've seen nothing that contradicts this. Yes, the stone guards bolt onto the same flange, but the flange does not look removable, it appears to be part of the axle casing (sorry if I'm repeating myself).

I have considered upgrading my rear drums to discs, but not at the expense of changing the axle casing, can anyone confirm if Stu is correct please?

stu[/QUOTE]

Sorry clive, its not a off hand statement. Ive never really got on with drum brakes purely because ive cut my teeth on disc brakes and find drums a faff to adjust and replace. More what im familiar with rather than a judgement on the functionality of one or the other..

No worries CG, it's my call anyway. I'd prefer disc brakes as a matter of course, and I'd change if it was a known entity, meaning buy these parts for x quid, fit and forget, but I think the conversion will be much more involved than that.

Back