Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Rear Diff lock actuator - alternatives

Andy B

Hi guys..

first question from me :) and hoping its not been done too much to death...

rear diff lock actuator... had a quick look using the search and found a few replacement threads, but im hoping perhaps for a pointer in a different direction?

my difflock actuator came off the axle looking like:

locker2.jpg

the rest of it looked like:

locker1.jpg

so it's a little bit 'past it'...

i see milners will supply a much needed replacement, but i like having two kidneys, so dont want to sell one to be able to afford one....

so the big question is, is there any alternative replacements?

im thinking possible electric solenoid/pneumatic ram that can possibly be fitted in place of the ali disintegration module that was fitted to my axle in its past life?

anyone know if this has been done before?

cheers in advance for any pointers

Andy

Tough call. And I suspect that at the end of weeks of buggering around you will say 'Wish I'd just gone to Milners'

You can try Karl or Steph or indeed Triggers on here and see what they are selling 2nd hand ones for. I have a spare, but I am keeping it for when mine looks like that!

Chris

I would not mess around too much, I would just get a used one from a breaker or dig deep and get a new actuator. It is still much cheaper than getting an ARB difflock fitted.

i actually bought a complete second hand axle off of ebay - after asking the question if the actuator was a good'un and being told yes...

it arrived and it looked like it was about a month off of looking like mine! so i assumed it was probably a common fault with them.... thankfully i got most of my money back after having to do a deal with the seller... wasnt impressed...

are second hand units not 'that' hard to come by then? might have a mooch around the names youv've dropped and keep my fingers crossed... Milners is definitely a last resort :|

This is a common problem, so used ones are difficult to find but not impossible. Karl or Stef should be able to tell if the ones they are selling are in decent condition. I have replaced 2 of the 3 actuators on my 80 in the 3 years I have owned it, rear and centre. Got the centre used from Karl and it was in great condition.

Milner is a regular discussion point on there. But if you need a part and they have it then what do you do? Their actuators or good. You could try your local dealer :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sorry I shouldn't laugh.

Chris

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
its a few months since i posted about it now, but i thought i'd throw up an update.. might be of some use to someone in the future perhaps?

i know theyre not under a LC80, but might still be relevant?

No luck finding a 2nd hand unit, and i really couldnt justify ordering a new one from milners.. so instead of shelling out £450 on a new unit, i shelled out £30 or so on some roase joints, a couple of bolts and an oil seal and came up with:

difflock.jpg

just need to get a cable sorted out for it, attatch it to a second handbrake lever in the cab, and iv'e got a rear difflock :)

now, ive just got to figure out how to wire in the front one to use as a stand alone unit...

Andy

Don't forget the electrics for the warning light to come on?

I got a new one for my 100 and immersed it in waxoil before fitting. Should last forever now.

Frank

Hi Andy it's been a fair old while since I posted anything on here but have just seen your update and the way you've got around
the rotten actuator problem looks good to me so well done there.
A none locking rear on my '95 GS was on my 'to look at' list a month or so back so off came the shield but was met by the motor
sort of hanging at a strange angle so as I s'pose as anyone else would do I poked what used to be the ali actuator housing
with a screwdriver, a couple of prods soon had all the housing on the floor looking like someone had spilt a bowlful of meusli?
The worm and wheel are now fully visible and I've just left it like that for now as 450 quid blimey thats a real nice new LCD TV
or even a 12,000lb goldfish winch sent to your front door!
I really like the 'look what I've made in the shed today' approach, brilliant.
Cheers Chris @ Derby

You're just being tight mate. A man of your means?

Anyway when you coming round to help me design this new rear winch bumper then? :lol: :lol:

Chris

Hi Chris, probably unsuprisingly I was lying under the back of the 80 briefly on Chrismas day looking at how crazy wide
the chassis rails are and the amount of hardware needed to secure a winch in there, ok so I've spent some new diff lock
actuator money on another winch! :naughty:

I have that very piece of channel in my garage plus some for the angles out to the chassis rails. It's going to be very strong, that I do know. I shall start cutting tomorrow.

Don't have final design yet, but I do know that working round the old section is going to be harder than just starting with a blank canvas. I looked at Mud as you suggested. Some nice ideas in there including some quite easy options. But I like a bit of steel in there myself.

Chris

Think we'll need a new topic for rear winch fitting Chris as this rear diff locker thread needs to progress further to find the
alternatives similar to what Andy has done?

Don't worry. It's a minor diversion. It happens all the time. I have already started the thread. There will be more to post tomorrow hopefully. Also we aren't short of locker actuator threads!

Normal service is now resumed.

Chris

Back