Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Rear Diff-lock dash light

clivehorridge

Guru
Garage
Country Flag
romania
I suppose I shouldn't post a thread before I've at least climbed under the truck to have a look.... but....

.....the red rear locker dash warning light has decided to stay illuminated.

With all the snow here of late, the rear and front diff-locks have had a bit of a busy time, coupled with me nosing into, or on to, piles of snow up to a meter high.

Yep, I'm the idiot that parks on the top of the piles of snow:

(i) because there's no alternative parking place;
(ii) because it's fun; and
(iii) because I can!

This means the diffs have also been dragged through a fair bit of compacted snow, as well.

My truck has always suffered the usual "red light but no yellow" syndrome which has never bothered me because I know when they're locked in and I know when they're locked out.

Anyway, I know the rear is locked out now, but the solid red light is on all the time, whether locked or not and irrespective of whether the CDL is locked or not.

This suggests electrickery, which is not my strongest discipline :whistle:

If I get no responses, you're all forgiven. But whatever, I'll slide under this weekend to have a nose at the connector block.

If a bit of pinching the females and cleaning up the males doesn't work, I'll be at a bit of a loss. :?: :think:

Last edited:
It could be the detent switch is jammed Clive. If you have had the lockers in quite a bit and it's been cold then the ball and spring might just be unwilling to drop. 27mm socket whizz it out and give it a look see.

It could be the detent switch is jammed Clive. If you have had the lockers in quite a bit and it's been cold then the ball and spring might just be unwilling to drop. 27mm socket whizz it out and give it a look see.

OK Chris, many thanks for that. :icon-biggrin:

It it does presume of course that I know what and where the detention switch is... :think:

Excuse se my ignorance. :oops: I did replace my front locker actuator when Karl kindly sourced one for me, but I've never even looked at the rear locker. Will this detent switch be obvious? And no, I'm not asking you to crawl under the car in torrential rain to take photos, just a bit of guidance.... Just to the left of, or just above or below..... whatever, will probably do. 27mm is fairly big, so I'm sure it pretty easy to find...:| :whistle:

Thanks again :thumbup:

The bit just to the right of the locker actuator, plug points towards the front

20131024_203810.jpg

Last edited:
Got it Gary, thank you kindly!

I really wasn't expecting a photo, that's just perfect! :icon-biggrin:

Your welcome Clive, it's the pics I'd taken when mine went wrong.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Study the circuit diagram very carefully Clive and work it all out. That's what I wouldn't do :icon-biggrin:

Study the circuit diagram very carefully Clive and work it all out. That's what I wouldn't do :icon-biggrin:

Thanks Frank! Er.... Not sure for what though :lol:

Me studying carefully a circuit diagram for a rear locker, knowing the complexity of the engage-locked-unlocked/relays/CPUs (whatever they may be?:wtf:) is a bit like doing a one hour crash course on brain surgery in Chinese:lol:

I'll see what I find and as I said, if it's more complex than cleaning or pinching terminals, I suppose that it will end up at my trusted service shop:icon-biggrin:. If I know anything at all, I know my limitations!

Thanx all.

Back