Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

rear diff oil leak

froggy Steve

Supporter
Country Flag
europe
Hi only me...
After a bit of a run, 3 hrs to the airport and back dropping off wifey, I noticed a tiny puddle of oil under the rear diff - only a couple of inches spread (poss 24hr + later) Nothing during normal use, but just after a 'run'. I noticed it once before after a trip to UK and back - it seems to appear after the diff gets warm after longer use.
I cant really have a good look today as its peeing down, could it be the breather blocked? There are one or two oil spots on the back door as well :(
It does look a bit rusty down there

Steve

Could be time to add the raised diff breathers then :)
So...next question - has anyone done this on a 90? I have had a search but cant find a definative answer -
|Off to have a sniff around ebay now ;)
Steve

Yes fitted raised breathers to both diffs, transfer and autobox.
Pipes go into a junction block, then single pipe up by snorkel

is diff leaking from seal where propshaft is?

Yes fitted raised breathers to both diffs, transfer and autobox.
Pipes go into a junction block, then single pipe up by snorkel

is diff leaking from seal where propshaft is?

I had a quick look last night but it was getting dark - there is oil on the end of the shaft 2 or 3 inches along, but the drip is coming off the bottom of the housing - once it stops raining I will clean it up and see where if poss its coming from -
Cheers
Steve

Hi all, had a chance to take a photo of the leaky diff - looks like its starting where the prop goes in - looks like a gasket?

IMG_0867 (800x533).jpg
IMG_0868 (533x800).jpg

Just need to find some one who knows what they are doing now!

Steve

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Not a big job Steve. Fear not. It is pretty much as simple as undo, take old one out, put new on in and bolt back up. The diff doesn't have to come out or anything hideous.Not even many tools required. Couple of tips and tricks needed, but it's not major surgery. And of course as long as you top the oil up it could run like that for ever.

Chris

Thanks Chris, ooozing with confidence now :shock:............I will have a search round for an idiots guide!
Cheers
STeve

Last edited:
Back