Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Rear Difflock tinkering

Brett

Country Flag
uk
The rear difflock on my truck has never locked since I've owned the truck, I did an oil change on the engine & axles this weekend & as I had the tools out decided to investigate why the locker isn't working.

Now when you switch the rear locker on & off you can hear the motor in the actuator whirring round but the light on the dash never goes solid & the rear wheel (when jacked up) always spins, so I've confirmed it's definitely not locking & not just the indicator switch.

First I pulled the breather hose out & sprayed WD40 down there as suggested by Rob (I think) previously. Tried spinning the rear wheel while my daughter cycled the switch. This didn't work.

Next I took the cover plate off so you could see the shift fork & actuator rod.

I managed to lock & unlock the rear diff manualy by levering the shift fork across backwards & forwards & what seems to be happening is that the fork is sliding on the rod.

Is the shift fork supposed to be fixed on the actuator rod? i.e locked in place by the bolt? As it doesn't appear that the rod is moving at all.

Oh yes, when you do cycle the selector switch the rear actuator is very noisy compared to the front diff.

Hi Brett

That fork should be attached to the actuator rod - when I replaced my actuator, thats the bolt I damaged on the re-install as I hadn't remembered the hints & tips offered to doing so easily :oops:

I got a spare from the local Yota dealers overnight - in fact I got two incase I did it again!!!

Is your actuator moving the rod or not? You should be able to see this with the cover plate off...

Hi Gav,

I didn't look to see if the actuator moved the rod, it seemed like when I levered the shift fork backwards & forwards the fork was sliding on the rod.

Brett said:
Hi Gav,

I didn't look to see if the actuator moved the rod, it seemed like when I levered the shift fork backwards & forwards the fork was sliding on the rod.
I think thats what you need to determine first then Brett, is the actuator moving the rod in & out... I removed it from the axle & reconnected it back up to see if it was functioning at all - it wasn't...

You should have seen a bolt connecting the locking fork to the actuator shaft when you took the cover pate off the side of the axle... If that wasn't there, that may be why its sliding on the shaft...

The bolt is there, not sure if it's tight though, I'll check next time I take the cover off.

I'm beginning to think the shaft is seized

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I'd whip the actuator off if I were you. Mine came off nice & easy - there were plenty of hints & tips from folk on my thread when I replaced mine so try to have a look through it and remember them unlike me :oops:

:cool:

Thanks for the links Keith & the advice Gav :oops:

I meant to have a play with my old one to see if it could be ressurected but haven't managed it to date... It would be nice to get it working if you can Brett

Back