Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Refitting radiator

Matt Richards

Hi Everyone,

Having got my leaking radiator recored it is time to reinstall it, a couple of questions:

1) Is there a particular antifreeze I 'must' use or would any well known name suffice ?

2) Having reconnected the oil cooler pipes I presume I need to refill the auto gearbox, where do I do that and how do I know how much to put in and what oil am I putting in?

Sorry for 'silly' questions but 'spannering' is quite new to me

Cheers

Hi Matt,

1. Any coolant would "suffice" but why not use Toyota red - I know lots of people will say save your money and buy generic. The choice is yours - you've gone to the hassle of getting the rad sorted properly so my view is shell out the few extra ££ and put in the OEM stuff :mrgreen:

2. I doubt much ATF would have leaked out - maybe a few hundred ml at most, unless you drained the 'box or ran it with the hoses disconnected? Connect the hoses, run the engine and cycle the box so that the rad cooler fills with ATF and then check the ATF level via the dipstick. You might have to top up with a little ATF down the dipstick tube - gently does it, don't overfill! 80 autos require Dexron II or later ATF (most later versions supercede Dex II) so just about any ATF you find will do. If the existing ATF is fancy synthetic stuff then you might want to top up with similar. But it sounds like you don't know what's in there currently - so grab a 500ml or 1l bottle of ATF at your local motor factor or Halfords that is Dex II or III and you're done ;)

Now that you've got the rad into tiptop shape, you might want to flush the ATF and replace with good quality synthetic stuff, especially if the current ATF looks in any way brown or discoloured. Should be a nice ruby red colour and translucent if it's in good shape.

Cheers,

I would recommend using toyota concentrated Anit Freeze for the rad as it is recommended and from what I think is better than other cheaper stuff, will pretty much last you a good long while so why skimp on it.....

Re-cored where and how much if we might ask please?

Chris

Back