Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Remap

Brian S

Country Flag
england
My mechanic suggested I take my "Collie" to another local garage who does remapping.

Took it there yesterday for him to have a look and see if he can remap or not.
Unfortunately the answer was :thumbdown:
Oh well, now would a 5 speed 120 g/box fit a 90, and would that improve mpg ??:)

I believe the 120 box will fit, have a look on pradopoint

I've seen some posts hinting at it although it could be a 6 speed manual swap from the 120 rather than the auto

What we have here is a large , heavy brick shaped 4x4 .no amount of work will get you a significant MPG improvement.try working out your annual mileage x MPG & then do a similar calculation with a figure of say 10% less.Driving slower/smoother , fitting road tyres (defeats the point of having a 4x4 IMO) less weight etc will improve MPG bit if you want significant savings buy a Yaris

More power and bigger wheels will improve mpg but only if you can resist enjoying the power .

When i say bigger wheels look at Beau's truck .

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
wouldn't really say bigger wheels would improve mpg. A 20 x 10 inch wide rim weighs a lot more than your standard 16" x 7.5 rim.

A less weight rated, more road based tire though may be lighter and help though, but come on, these things are work trucks. I make sure I have good weight rated tires.

On a side note, it would be interesting to see if a more modern auto box would work in these trucks. I feel they could benefit well with a 5-6 speed box, with a double overdrive gear.

While I'm not looking for a frugal vehicle that does a 100mpg, I would like it to be the same as my old Trooper Duty.
It would do roughly 28 around the house's and about 33/35 on a run.
The only difference was the Trooper was a Turbo Diesel and it was a manual, other than that it ran on A/Ts, it had a roof rack, and it was always loaded with tools.
Now my thinking, (silly mistake :icon-biggrin:) was that a D4d is an improvement on a Turbo, therefore better mpg.
Allow for the reduced mpg for the Auto box, should:icon-exclaim: bring me back to square one.

the best i have had out of my 5speed auto 120 is 31mpg driving like a granny at 60/65
The best i had out of my colorado auto was 27mpg so is it really worth the ball ache to acheive 4mpg at best?

your going to struggle to exceed the factory mpg without spending a fortune on some radical changes despite what some other threads claim.

Fully loaded on the way home through Spain last month I got roughly 25 but that's not at all scientific

Rich, My Trooper was doing 28 round the houses, my Collie is doing 22 round the houses, (driving carefully) I would of thought they should of been near enough the same?
Not going to worry myself over it to that degree, but if I could of had a remap and got a few extra miles, it would of been good.

wouldn't really say bigger wheels would improve mpg. A 20 x 10 inch wide rim weighs a lot more than your standard 16" x 7.5 rim.

I didn't mean exactly your rims Beau but my theory is say 255/85 on maybe a 20x8 rim would likely result in less rolling resistance than the standard set up . You travel a smidgen further with every revolution of the wheel and you have lengthened the gearing just a touch .

As you say these things are built for work and so they have heaps of torque and if you increase the power it will achieve the same distance with less effort = lower fuel consumption .

The 6 speed gearbox thing peeked my interest too so i looked up the specs and from memory 0-60 in 11.5 seconds and a top speed of 108 mph and as i can do that anyway it would make the 6th a gear nothing but a nuisance in my manual truck .

6th gear would give you lower rpm at cruising speed , mines revving far too much at cruise really 70mph on the motorway is close to 3000rpm. Its not really for increasing speed or acceleration

I get nervous about the 1kz at 3000rpm but i rarely see it unless i'm running late for a ferry or something :whistle:

Peak power is either 3200 or 3600rpm i can't remember which but it might be both with/without intercooler ?

I would happily swap 1st gear for a 6th because 1st is all but pointless in mine .

R17 diffs which i think is 4.3 ratio and about 2800 rpm at 70

Last edited:
I have R17 or 4.3:1 diffs so yeah its around 2800 - 3000 rpm at 70

What size tyres do you run and how accurate is your speedo ? 285/75 put my speedo bang on accurate .

265/70 and under read by 10% 265/80's would put the speedo spot on

What about an intercooler? I can't see from your Avatar or sig whether you already have a D4D

265/70 and under read by 10% 265/80's would put the speedo spot on

There's a saving to be made there i think , assuming you drive frugally anyway considering the miles you do .

I cannot drive frugally but also i cannot accelerate for any length of time without changing up a gear if you see what i'm saying , a blip of throttle and i'm up to speed and cruising .

Tbh its onlt really the long motorways when a taller gear would be useful, rarely get above 50 otherwise :)

Back