Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

removing an auto from a 4.5

brad smith

Hi,
A bit of question as just going to attempt the automatic transmission removal from a 4.5 petrol on the garage floor. Do I need to remove the engine, or can it be done underneath.

You can do it from underneath just need to get the truck up high enough to let you get the box out from under.

Chris and I recently swapped the auto trans on his diesel 80, I would imagine that it'll be a similar job on a petrol.

We found that removing the gear sticks and their associated interior trim, gave good access (using wobble extension bars through the hole in the transmission tunnel) to the tricky to reach top bell housing bolts. You'll also need to support the engine, otherwise it'll pivot around the engine mounts and fall backwards against the bulkhead when the trans is removed.

Once we had the box down on the floor, we removed the front bumper and connected a bridle to both the front recovery eyes and used the engine crane to lift the front of the 80 quite high, to allow us to slide the box out under the chassis (we used two cut down scaffold poles wedged into the bulkhead outriggers to support the load, so that we weren't working under a suspended load).

It's heavy and awkward work swapping the trans, I would say it's a much safer job if there's two of you on the job. Out of interest did you buy the 80 with a dead trans?

Good luck and happy spannering!

Yeah, dead easy really :liar:

There are, in fact, only about 21 steps in the FSM. One of which is 'Remove transmission' IIRC :lol:

It's not complicated, just heavy work with plenty of potential for sticking points. The second removal (from the new vehicle) went like a dream really. We were done in a couple of hours.

Incidentally Scot, I was thinking about how you'd replace the torque converter on one of these and concluded that taking the engine out would be a much quicker option.

Chris

It probably would be quicker to pull the engine, at least it would massively reduce the amount of time spent crawling around on the ground.

The only bits that can take a bit of time is disconnecting wiring looms (I haven't tried this on the 80, hopefully Mr T installed some handy plugs. On another vehicle I had to unthread the whole loom), also I'd remove the rad as it's too vulnerable there, and as you know, that's not as straight forward as it should be.

Cheers.

When I did mine I just put the back wheels up on ramps to get enough clearance to drag the box out. It's a bit more work but if you remove the transfer box first the gearbox will be easier to handle.

I'd remove the box rather than the engine.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Don't forget to undo the starter ring gear to torque converter bolts from inside the bellhousing, thats caused much amusement before now :lol:

It started leaking oil from the front bellhousing, suspect the front seal.Might reco it,whilst out, or find a reco.

Back