Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Replace Prado AWD to 4x2 and save fuel.

+1 on the above. I ran my 95 without a front prop for a while (diff problem) and saw no noticeable difference in mpg either. One thing that I did notice though was a tendency to understeer under power.

just my opinion but this just seems a pointless exercise to me, my HZJ 78 with part time hubs does not make a bit of difference to performance and next to nothing in mpg if it is in 4wd or not

Thank you for your opinion, but since I intend and have already committed to do this - pointless exercise - lets just wait and see the results.
Can hardly compare your vehicle to the two vehicles I am working on, they are already in most aspects same and similar except for the AWD

Shogun I had with part time 4wd was terrible. No centre dif so in 4wd used to be noisy, scrubby, and go straight on round bends icy or dry.

I admit to healthy skepticism here, and doubt that any improvement in MPG will justify the cost and time involved. However, I'm always interested in experiments so await the results with interest. Kudos for going for it.

Am I right in thinking that some non-UK market Prados were fitted with 2wd/selectable 4wd transfer boxes? I'm not sure on this, but I feel like I've read about it before.

I've driven/owned several 2wd/selectable 4wd vehicles (Hiluxs/Isuzu Troopers) and my experience has been that the permanent 4wd of the Colorado has been more stable on the road and less prone to bad handling in the wet/frosty conditions, but I appreciate that's not the point of the experiment.

some 4Runner/Surf had selectable i think , the 90 series predecessor with an otherwise very similar drivetrain .

Removing rear seats to save weight and windsreen wipers to improve aerodynamics would likely offer better gains with regards to mpg me thinks .

Am I right in thinking that some non-UK market Prados were fitted with 2wd/selectable 4wd transfer boxes? I'm not sure on this, but I feel like I've read about it before.

Not sure about other markets but the 90 series are all AWD/4WD high/4WD low here.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
some 4Runner/Surf had selectable i think , the 90 series predecessor with an otherwise very similar drivetrain .

Removing rear seats to save weight and windsreen wipers to improve aerodynamics would likely offer better gains with regards to mpg me thinks .
Hahaha thanks for that, I should remove the wiper on the rear window as well....

I admit to healthy skepticism here, and doubt that any improvement in MPG will justify the cost and time involved. However, I'm always interested in experiments so await the results with interest. Kudos for going for it.

I've driven/owned several 2wd/selectable 4wd vehicles (Hiluxs/Isuzu Troopers) and my experience has been that the permanent 4wd of the Colorado has been more stable on the road and less prone to bad handling in the wet/frosty conditions, but I appreciate that's not the point of the experiment.

I will definitely post my results, good or bad, the point is to get a result and If I am wrong then so be it!
Your point on the handling is noted and when I do an assessment afterwards I will include this as it would have been altered by not having AWD.

Back