Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Replacement Parts - OEM or Pattern

ADD

Supporter
Country Flag
uk
Question???

What is the opinion on when to use Genuine parts as opposed to pattern parts?

Engine gaskets and seals- OEM?
Control arms - Rebuild using OEM bushes or pattern part?
Or just buy the cheapest?

Buy cheap and buy twice, just saying

OEM parts are quality and they fit, plus, they can sometimes be sourced at very reasonable prices by shopping round. Quality of pattern parts can range from as good as OEM to a complete waste of money. Just buying the cheapest seldom works out for the best. JMO

Question???

What is the opinion on when to use Genuine parts as opposed to pattern parts?

Engine gaskets and seals- OEM?
Control arms - Rebuild using OEM bushes or pattern part?
Or just buy the cheapest?
Your vehicle is reliable because it's made of components from Toyota and associated manufacturers...

OEM. As has been said, these trucks are great for a reason. Amayama, Partsouq and Megazip are all online suppliers at far better prices than Toyota Main dealers in the U.K. having said that there is a UK parts guy that is very helpful, Simon Holton at Steven Eagel Toyota. Some parts like motors can be refurbished as good as New by Robson and Francis. They can also supply replacement starters and alternators.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
A debate that could go on for a while, Personally i go for non genuine, always have, And have never had a Fail/Fault or problem Most of the time it depends on your budget, Recently i went to my Local dealer for parts, It was the Smug way the amount rolled of his Viper like Tongue and the grin that appeared in the corner of his mouth.... Got the exact same thing from Rough Trax for a Fraction of what Toyota wanted...When i choked at the price Toyota wanted The 14yr old behind the counter said 'Do you want it or not, It is what it is mate'.. Hes right We have a choice... I choose not to Endorse Toyota... Its just my view,

I ask because whilst doing a EGR delete and de-coke decided to go a bit further. :grimacing:

Full head off to de-coke, remove injector pump and send away to Bosch, Rebuild existing turbo.
So need a lot of gaskets and things. £200 for intake side along so far and now another £588 for head gasket kit, timing belt and pulley.

Looked at Rough Trax and could have got a Cada Eristic gasket kit and Timing belt kit for £200.

My reasoning being its a lot of difference but wanted to fix once and forget.

Last edited:
Also looking to either replace or re-bush the upper and lower control arms because bushes are EOL.

The cost from Rough Trax for a lower control is £100 which is cheaper than rebuilding and of course I would also have to clean up the old arms and re-spay which equals more cost and time.

Back