Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Replacing calliper

Matthew1955

Country Flag
wales
Hi member,firstly happy new year to all.

In the next few days I am needing to replace my rear offside brake caliper so obviously will need to bleed the brakes so can someone tell if I need to bleed just the one brake I have worked on or all four and if so what sequences should they be bled in,thanks Matthew.

Hi member,firstly happy new year to all.

In the next few days I am needing to replace my rear offside brake caliper so obviously will need to bleed the brakes so can someone tell if I need to bleed just the one brake I have worked on or all four and if so what sequences should they be bled in,thanks Matthew.
Hi Mathew
I have had to change the calipers on all four wheels as one on each axle seized up and the rear pads on the offside caliper lasted only 5k miles , the front on the drivers side stopped working and the car pulled to one side when braking , I got a good deal on for calipers £255 for all 4 fr and rear of super quality calipers , you don't need to bleed all four if doing just one , get a mate to pump hold and let go of the brake pedal while you open and close the bleed niple . if your car has electric pump instead of servo turn ignition on and brake fluid will shoot through when you undo the bleed niple so make sure the res does not run low to let air in because I have been told it quite a job to get the air out of the pump so make sure the res is never low while bleeding the brakes .

Last edited by a moderator:
+1 on the above. If you're bleeding on your own with the tube immersed in jar method (rather than suction), I find it helps a bit before you start to put a piece of cling film on the open reservoir and screw the cap back on (not forgetting to take it off when finished !). you can use a bit of wood put between the seat and pedal, moving the seat to keep the pedal down while you tighten the bleed nipple.

Thank you for the quick replies guys.I was planning on ordering the Advics/OE part from Roughtrax at £132.00 but can anyone recommend a better place to order the part from,cheers

Thank you for the quick replies guys.I was planning on ordering the Advics/OE part from Roughtrax at £132.00 but can anyone recommend a better place to order the part from,cheers
I got mine on Ebay from KVAdistributors £115 for the rear pair and are super quality the front were £135 the pair the rest I paid was postage to Cyprus , probably the same brand as Roughtrax sell but much cheaper as they mainly sell to trade at trade price .

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I don't think Toyota supplied calipers are of good quality on lc 120s and hilux of similar age and newer as they are well known to seize , also its recommend that toyota calipers on those models use dot 3 fluid only or the piston seals in the calipers fail maybe that's why mine packed up as I used dot4 fluid when bleeding the brakes after renewing the pads a year earlier before they seized .

Having now had a lot on ebay after your post Tony I see you are able to buy a "Slider kit"such as this one https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TOYOTA-L...=item4d33068a11:g:dPQAAOSwAhtZ4KA0:rk:10:pf:0
The reason I was replacing the caliper was that the slider rubber had crumbled and not knowing that I could order just this part I was going for the whole thing.So if I order just this part has anyone any experience of fitting these.I imagine it could be very difficult to fit the rubber into the sleeve in the caliper.
I also need to replace one of the clips that fits at either end of the brake pad and appears to help hold the pad in place.Does anyone know if this part is available as a separate item.The clip I am referring to is the one the guy is removing in this video
at 1.48 seconds .Thanks

Having now had a lot on ebay after your post Tony I see you are able to buy a "Slider kit"such as this one https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TOYOTA-L...=item4d33068a11:g:dPQAAOSwAhtZ4KA0:rk:10:pf:0
The reason I was replacing the caliper was that the slider rubber had crumbled and not knowing that I could order just this part I was going for the whole thing.So if I order just this part has anyone any experience of fitting these.I imagine it could be very difficult to fit the rubber into the sleeve in the caliper.
I also need to replace one of the clips that fits at either end of the brake pad and appears to help hold the pad in place.Does anyone know if this part is available as a separate item.The clip I am referring to is the one the guy is removing in this video
at 1.48 seconds .Thanks

Slider rubbers are easy enough to replace, especially on a new slider pin. A dab of red grease helps it find its place.

Do you mean these clips? https://www.roughtrax4x4.com/genuine-toyota-rear-brake-pad-fitting-kit.html

I replaced a rear caliper last year with a non-Advics Roughtrax one because Advics were out of stock at the time. I've used DOT4 since I had the car 100K miles ago, and the back of my car is a rusty mess. Caliper got seizy after about 170K miles total, so personally I'd be more than happy with OEM. The early front calipers definitely did sieze. The design was changed in late 2005 to have a better seal / seat for the seal, although I've had one of those seize after about 90K miles.

at 1.48 seconds .Thanks
I have never had to fit a rubber for the slider pin but I would say its easy to do , coat the rubber with silicon grease inside and out then wipe the end of the rubber as not to collect dirt as well as grease the slider pin itself , also add a bit of copper grease or silicone grease to both sides of the small metal fitting kit that you mention , I am sure you can get them on ebay also just type in rear brake fitting kit for lc120 I am sure they will be available , I would not bother getting new calipers if that is all what is wrong with yours .

Slider rubbers are easy enough to replace, especially on a new slider pin. A dab of red grease helps it find its place.

Do you mean these clips? https://www.roughtrax4x4.com/genuine-toyota-rear-brake-pad-fitting-kit.html

I replaced a rear caliper last year with a non-Advics Roughtrax one because Advics were out of stock at the time. I've used DOT4 since I had the car 100K miles ago, and the back of my car is a rusty mess. Caliper got seizy after about 170K miles total, so personally I'd be more than happy with OEM. The early front calipers definitely did sieze. The design was changed in late 2005 to have a better seal / seat for the seal, although I've had one of those seize after about 90K miles.
I had to replace all 4 calipers due to one on each front and rear axle seizing and the other front partly seizing , although one on the rear was in good condition I changed them as a pair , my lc120 is a July 2009 model 79 k miles all was well until I fully bled the brakes using 2.5lt dot4 fluid a year 6 k miles earlier .

I should correct myself. I've been using Dot5.1.
Now that I have non toyota supplied calipers I feel safe to keep the dot 4 fluid as I added another 1lt of dot4 changing the 4 calipers but in a couple of years I will bleed the brakes again and I thought I might as well use dot5.1 .

Thanks for all the advice and suggestions,I have now ordered the brake pad guide fitting clips,Slider kit and grease so hopefully in a few days I will be up and running again,regards Matthew

Next set i send to Big Red will be getting a fancy finish - powder coat or whatever they offer . If you can do without the car for a week its like replacing with new even if you opt for the very reasonably priced rebuild they get a light lick of paint .

Unfortunately Andy I cannot be without the car for a week but had that been possible it would have been a serious consideration.

Back