Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Replacing motor and transmission mounts.

Knucklehead

Hello All,

Quick question.
Thinking about making the next job on the list swapping out the Engine and Gearbox mounts.
The Gearbox mounts are looking every bit their age. Thinking engine ones probably no better.

The Gearbox seem straight forward. Support Gearbox, remove cross member and replace.
Was wondering if it would be possible to jack up one side of the engine enough to change the mounts one at a time?

Thinking would need to be careful with fan shroud and the likes but surely it wouldn't be necessary to lift the engine out?

Any thoughts gratefully received as usual.

Dave.

Hi Knucklehead I changed fine after a long wait to find and fit. Not easy at all best done with a lift and also need to take off the fan blade as it will hit the top of the plastic shroud as you come to life the engine up via a table & mobile hydrologic lift.
The gearbox is easier by all means with the same procedure once in the air!

Where you getting your mounts from?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for reply.

Unfortunately like all my DIY it is done lying on my back on a stone drive no engine lift available.
Still think I should be able to hoist one side at time with a jack and some carefully placed blocks.
Bit redneck but hey...

Regarding the mounts, I brought back a pile of spares I had for my 80 when lived in OZ so have had these knocking about the shed.

Cheers
Dave.

Still think I should be able to hoist one side at time with a jack and some carefully placed blocks.

Regarding the mounts, I brought back a pile of spares I had for my 80 when lived in OZ so have had these knocking about the shed.

Cheers
Dave.

I think you may well get away with a sheet of ply across the sump pan and some blocks placed towards the corners, I will say there is not a lot of room to lift but has to be worth a try.

Only thing I am sure about is you will have to fit them upside down :icon-biggrin:

regards

Dave

Just be extremely careful and loosen the hold bracket for the water hoses at the right side of the engine bay as these will tighten & strain as you lift up. I would recommend doing this job with a friend only as you need to see clearance from above on as you lift up slowly. As I remember it's a tough job best done when the engines out.

All the best

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Probably also best to disconnect the front pipe from the mid pipe same as when lowering the engine for a clutch change...

Cheers fellas,

I'll be sure to double check any possible contact areas before attempting.

Dave.

Back