Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Riddle, what goes "screech bang screech bang bang"???

A1aardvark

Country Flag
australia
Hi my name is Andrew and my new(old) truck I call "the White Elephant" is a 94 all white and very stock 80 series petrol Gxl auto.

On two occasions while accelerating hard from about 20 to 40 k's on sweeping bends I heard a loud "screech bang screech bang bang" noise. I didn't feel anything through the steering or seat but I can tell you it wasn't the sound of tyres spinning. I have tried to make it happen again but it just won't happen on demand.

I don't know the entire history of my truck as the previous owner had It for three years but he did have the complete mechanical records from his period of ownership. The only thing about my truck that may be relevant is it has aftermarket free hubs so may have part time 4wd kit installed or maybe the vicous coupling is totally stuffed and is full time locked up. I just don't know?

ive done many searches and noise is bit like others descriptions of various splined parts letting go eg rear axle braking. Having just bought I got the previous owner to drive it and he said there seems to be a bit of clunk (he felt rather than heard) he thinks is coming from the rear diff. To me it feels like normal old cruiser back lash.

Any ideas???

Last edited:
Diff wind up? Could it be the LSD? Some more knowledgeable people will be along shortly after they've had their coffee...

Could you tell if it was from the front or back?

Maybe check the rear brake shoes and wheel bearings. Brake shoes are good for screeching and banging if they're catching and maybe under load, on a bend, there is enough flex to make that happen, either because the bearings have play or the shoes are adjusted up too tight. Just one of a lot of possibilities though. Check there isn't an old brake pad stuck between the disc and backing plate at the bottom on the rear brakes, the inner pad can go walkabout if run down too low and slip down out of sight and if you don't know people just put new pads in and leave the old one rattling around. Again maybe under load there is enough flex to catch it, drag it etc. A trapped stone is another one to watch for as well.

I only see the car about a hour once a week due to its parked at work while I drive a work car. Hopefully in a few weeks ill be able to give the problem my full attention.

Thanks for the help guys

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back